Soft Hackles in High Lakes?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The heads may be a tad big. It's interesting looking at them in person, they don't seem too big, but then i really see it in the picture 🤷‍♂️.
Will do some more variations as well.View attachment 38313
Look good to me. The little red head is like a not too bright hot spot.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The heads may be a tad big. It's interesting looking at them in person, they don't seem too big, but then i really see it in the picture 🤷‍♂️.
Will do some more variations as well.View attachment 38313
If you want just a little bit of weight, as an option you can throw a red glass bead on a few in lieu of the red thread head. The olive soft hackles w/ a red glass bead look like a bit like an olive willy - which is one of my favorite still water patterns.
I really dig the PT soft hackles with a red glass bead head.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't have photos but I ties the bead as the thorax if I am gonna use a bead. Not sure what the fish think, but I think they think the bead looks like an air bubble. Also it helps keep the hackle from sitting too close to the body while the fly is swinging.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use the same soft hackles for river and lake and was making a mishmash of a post. That said, although it wasn't what I was initially thinking of, I do swing soft hackles in lakes all the time. Not sure about the high Cascade Lakes, but in the Sierra where I fish, swinging soft hackles across a seam line in the daily afternoon breeze is THE way I catch fish. A down and across the seam line from a shore casting spot with either an upwind or downwind mend (depending on the strength of the wind) is $$$$$

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
swinging soft hackles across a seam line in the daily afternoon breeze is THE way I catch fish. A down and across the seam line from a shore casting spot with either an upwind or downwind mend (depending on the strength of the wind) is $$$$$
ohh that sounds fun :)

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Hey Travis, how come jig hooks? are you weighting them a lot?
I know you kill it (errr, your kid kills it ;) ) on the Alpine lakes up in the Trinity Alps!
I just love the action on them. I've been fishing the lakes with my 3 wt and one of the OPST heads with the fastest sinking tip. One of the lakes I love has a really deep spot and dredging that with jig nymphs is really productive.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just love the action on them. I've been fishing the lakes with my 3 wt and one of the OPST heads with the fastest sinking tip. One of the lakes I love has a really deep spot and dredging that with jig nymphs is really productive.

Sounds cool. I really need to get down to your neck of the woods.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
One more while I have ya’ll.

What’s your favorite soft hackle hook? I just ran out of what I was using (some old tiemco hook).

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I may be ignorant, but how are you swinging a high lake?
In the early 1970s before I began "fly fishing", I read a book or article about using a light - ultralight spinning rig with flies and a casting float in alpine lakes. I wish I could find it again. It was a simple solution. The author recommended using a 1/8th ounce torpedo float; I prefer the translucent green, instead of the water filled bobber shown in this diagram from a book I have on using spinning gear with flies; Fish Don't Think.
1669248735899.png1669248457173.jpeg 1669248303576.jpeg
IIRC it mentioned high sticking the moving water of inlets and outlets with a dry dropper rig using the line tension created by the current; something like this: (I never went fishless using this rig).
1669248893132.jpeg
So besides wind currents and wet flies-emergers in the film, I can swing flies in the inlet outlet currents.

BTW, I once had the owner of the fly shop where I later bought my first fly outfit show up when I was fly fishing an alpine lake that had a lot of shoreline trees and brush. I had packed in a heavy 1st Gen U-Boat float tube with vulcanized truck tire upper and lower bladders. The 1st thing he said to me after "Hi Brian", was "You should have brought a spinning rod, casting float, and flies!" o_O

I now bring a spinning reel and casting float, and a couple of trusted spoons and spinners, along with my fly rod & reel when I go to alpine lakes without my lightweight Backpacker Pro float tube.

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I forgot about the Carey and Six Pack as soft hackles. I also fish these patterns in larger sizes like an 8 or 10 but it seems like if I'm trying something on the bigger side in a high lake it's going to be a leech or bugger and less of a dragon/damsel type thing like a Carey. Maybe I just think of those as more lowland lake flies and forage but that's not necessarily always true come to think of it. 🤷‍♂️
I have been successful in a few alpine lakes with six packs. I have found that the natural color is better than the yellow though. Size 14.