Pretty crazy "camping/fishing on a cliff video.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Not fly fishing. But I ran across this youtube video of a guy rappelling down a cliff to a cave 25-30 ft above the sea where he fishes, cooks and hammock camps for the night. It's honestly a little crazy looking. I'm sure that the gopro lens perspective makes it looks a lot weirder than it felt standing there. But the work he has to put into getting up and down seems like a lot. Plus, he's wearing an inflatable life vest and appears to be roped in the whole time he's in the cave. And then at the end, he has to use ascenders to haul himself and the gear back up.

I dunno, looked pretty cool, but crazy, to me. I wonder if the fish he tosses back survive the fall?

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I toyed with the idea of doing this on the capilano in north van. Mostly to make some comedic media. Some good looking pools that are surrounded cliffs. Guys routinely fish the cliffs up by the dam with telescoping nets of crab rings to bring up fish. 1000002066.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
That was cool. That cliff gaff is a pretty neat contraption. Looks much more effective than watching people try to wrangle Salmon into crab rings off our piers

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
You should google “slide bait fishing in Hawaii”…it’s a form of fishing for GT’s off of Hawaiian cliffs that they have been doing for quite some time. Take a 4/0 or 6/0 Senator reel, fill with 60# test line…attach a ss ring to the line, then 10 feet of cotton line…tie on a 12-16 oz lead sinker that has four wires sticking out bent like a grappling hook…throw that from the cliff as far as you can, hook up to the bottom and make the line tight, with a 12’ stout rod not a rod holder drilled into the lava rock…slide down giant baits on special swivels that you thread onto the line which stop at the ss ring. You don’t recast the rig…you just slide down additional baits throughout the night. A sliding gaff is also threaded onto the line attacked to rope to haul up your fish…

It’s quite impressive…