WA non-profits trout related.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Next year I’ll have to take a sizable RMD from my 401k. I intend to donate most of it to 501 c’s to benefit them and avoid a big hit in taxes. So far I’ve chosen Habitat, Ruffed Grouse Society and Pheasants Forever. Are there any fish conservation groups for Washington?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Do many took a hit during Covid…it’s hard to tell you who’s alive or dead, coming back or slipping away. TU seems on life support, at least on the east side. Have you thought about Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, or the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership? They’re at least working to improve access and habitats? BHA seems to have some presence in WA.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I'm a life member of TU and support their work, but I think smaller more local groups can do more with a donation. A local (to you) watershed protection organization that buys up developoment rights to protect waters and riparian habitats would be my first choice.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I like this group. They help transfer private rivers and streams back to public lands.

Smalma

Life of the Party
In the Everett area there two organizations that the Evergreen Fly fisher's conservation committee support
O.R.C.A. - Ocean resource College Academy
Sound Solutions, Inc.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
F$ck those guys, theve done more damage to our fishing opertunity than any other organization, cept maybe the tribes.

They have done an amazing job of eliminating our rivers of non indigenous hatchery fish and creating sanctuaries for native trout and steelhead!

RCF

Life of the Party
Thanks too for planning to do a Qualified Charitable Distribution to support conservation! QCD's provide a great charitable gifting opportunity for those of RMD age

Well said!

@Roper - thank you for your consideration of others. It is a wonderful thing you are doing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

OT: Have you thought about providing some support to younger and disadvantaged youths making their lives better or helping put them on better trajectory through flyfishing e.g. MayFly Project? If I am stepping out of bounds/line, please accept my apology in advance.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Krusty is a non-profit flyfisherman who has dedicated his life to sustaining trout populations by not catching fish. Just sayin'.

Good on you Roper for your conservation support ethic!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I should add that the RMD tax guidance is some of the most poorly written and confusing bit of the entire situation...if you're not careful you'll be hit with two RMDs in the same 'first year' because you have an April Ist AND a December 31st withdrawal deadline....and the penalty for missing it are quite severe.