Simple Smoked Trout/Salmon Brining Suggestions?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm planning on going to Roosevelt to murder a few trout for the smoker. I have a brine recipe that I use but always looking for something new to try.
Whatcha got? :unsure:

Divad

Whitefish
I switched to a dry brine this last summer and really like that over a wet. My goal is to not have such a sweet finished product so I'm still working on the ratios that balance the tradeoffs of preservation length and flavor.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My uncle who lived in Oysterville, Washington used a very simple brine that I adopted. People always comment that my smoked fish is never too salty. In the morning you are going to smoke the fish, fill a large bowl of cold water. Gently drop a raw egg in the shell into the water. Add Kosher salt (he used non-iodized pickling and canning salt) and stir until the egg barely floats. I transfer the water to other bowls that accommodate the amount of fish that I am going to smoke. Save the egg for later. Put the filets into the brine and leave for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on thickness. For most steelhead or salmon, I use longer times. Remove the fish from the brine and place on paper towels covering cookie sheets. DO NOT RINSE. Allow to sit until a pelicile forms on the fish. Sometimes I sprinkle a little brown sugar on them (my cousin says that is blasphemy) or a small amount of garlic salt and pepper. Put on as much as you would want to eat. Put fish into the smoker. I use a Big Chief smoker with one pan of Traeger pellets but someday I need to build one of his smokers. My uncle always said that the critical part was to now cook the egg for breakfast…

IMG_3709.jpeg

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use this guys super simple recipe, and it comes our really fricking good every time. As he mentions, developing the pelicile is key. I do mine under my fan on my patio for 4 hours before smoking. Unless of course it's above 60 or below 32...then I do it in the fridge which I then try and do overnight and smoke in the morning. He likes birch syrup, but that has been tough for me to find in Yakima, so I just use pure maple.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I do a dry brine of 2/1 BS to KS for 4-8 hrs depending on the fish. I rinse and put the fish upside down in a colander to drain over night in the fridge. Smoke on alder(anything but is sacrilege) for as long as needed.

20231217_145000.jpg

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I do a dry brine of 2/1 BS to KS for 4-8 hrs depending on the fish. I rinse and put the fish upside down in a colander to drain over night in the fridge. Smoke on alder(anything but is sacrilege) for as long as needed.

View attachment 100776
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that BS and KS would be brown sugar and kosher salt. :unsure:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Why would you add liquid smoke to something your going to smoke, make no sense to me:confused:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Why would you add liquid smoke to something your going to smoke, make no sense to me:confused:
or water to something you're trying to take water out of? I mean I understand osmosis (in principle) but why reduce the osmotic pressure?