How long are natural materials good for?

I started tying flies back in the late 80’s as a kid. My dad had tons of materials he gathered over the years.
Two years ago he sent me all of his gear and materials.
I’ve got quite a few different hackle cape and saddles that were probably purchased in the early 80’s. Along with a bunch of other natural furs and feathers.
They’ve always been kept in a Tupperware type container with some cedar blocks to keep out bugs and such.
I’ve noticed some hackle feathers spines feel a little brittle compared to some newer ones, but still work great when tying.

My question is do these natural materials “go bad”?

Thanks!

Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I started tying flies back in the late 80’s as a kid. My dad had tons of materials he gathered over the years.
Two years ago he sent me all of his gear and materials.
I’ve got quite a few different hackle cape and saddles that were probably purchased in the early 80’s. Along with a bunch of other natural furs and feathers.
They’ve always been kept in a Tupperware type container with some cedar blocks to keep out bugs and such.
I’ve noticed some hackle feathers spines feel a little brittle compared to some newer ones, but still work great when tying.

My question is do these natural materials “go bad”?

Thanks!
They will deteriorate over time as you've noticed with the brittle hackle stems, but as long as they still function for your tying, there's no real reason not to use them. Tying materials can add up to be expensive. Some capes and fur are expensive on their own!

One thing is that due to continued advances in breeding, a lot of modern feathers have higher barbule counts per unit measurement than the old feathers, which can be nice for things like little dry flies. But it doesn't mean the old ones won't work. Add a couple more wraps and you have the same number of barbules as from a new feather.

Zak

Legend
I have and use some pretty ancient feather and fur. If there are no bugs in them, I don't think they really go bad. When I wrap stripped hackle stems for bodies, I soak them in a glass of water first no matter how old they are.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've tied using materials (such as hackle) that were well over 50 years old...from my early tying days as a kid. They were stored in those old coffee cans with plastic lids in cool conditions. Worked just fine. Bugs and trout are the most damaging things flytying materials experience.

Scottp

Legend
I have some capes and saddles I bought in the 80’s that are still usable; a few have somewhat brittle quills but I just put them in a damp paper towel for a few minutes and they work okay. Quality is nothing like today’s hackle but they’re fine for foam and wet flies. Someone will be tying with them long after I’m gone.

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Old flies and materials work fine as long as the bugs haven't got to them. I've been using this 50 yr old hen neck that I found in my stuff last winter. Fish don't care.
20230802_144357.jpg

Last edited:
When I wrap stripped hackle stems for bodies, I soak them in a glass of water first no matter how old they are.
a few have somewhat brittle quills but I just put them in a damp paper towel for a few minutes and they work okay.

Does this just soften up the quills?
I’ve heard of wetting or getting them damp but had no clue what it was for.

Thanks!!

RCF

Life of the Party
I still have a stash of Hoffman (pre Whiting) Grade 1 saddles and capes from 80's. They went on sale for 1/2 price around the sale of the birds to Whiting so I stocked up. I continue to use them to this day.

Zak

Legend
Does this just soften up the quills?
I’ve heard of wetting or getting them damp but had no clue what it was for.

Thanks!!
Yes, it softens the quills so they don't crack and split when you wrap them. I don't soak them when wrapping hackle (but maybe I should?), I only do it when I wrapping a stripped hackle stem for a segmented body. Like Art Flick's Red Quill fly (not my tie, found a pic online):

1691017394775.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Yes, it softens the quills so they don't crack and split when you wrap them. I don't soak them when wrapping hackle (but maybe I should?), I only do it when I wrapping a stripped hackle stem for a segmented body. Like Art Flick's Red Quill fly (not my tie, found a pic online):

View attachment 75758
Another trick for those bodies is to dip the feathers in melted paraffin and after it cools and hardens strip it off with your thumbnail. The barbules will come off with the wax and the wax leaves the quill soft and flexible and even gives it a bit of shine and seems to render the body more durable. I used to do the same thing with peacock herl for say a Quill Gordon. The fibers come off of the herl easily and it gives the body great luster.

Bob N

Steelhead
Putting your stripped quills in a solution of water and glycerine will keep them supple enough to wind as bodies.

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Famous fly tyer Andy Burk told me, after I tossed a bunch of brittle capes in the trash, to soak capes with brittle feathers in conditioner. He swears by it, although we did not get to which brand or scent.
That said, I bought some (no joke) anise flavor conditioner from Frisky Jenny Flies. Haven't tried it yet, and not sure if that counts as bait scent. I bought it to scent my home-made bucktail hoochies used for kokanee. But I am curious if a Wright's Royal wirth anise conditioner outfishes one without.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Famous fly tyer Andy Burk told me, after I tossed a bunch of brittle capes in the trash, to soak capes with brittle feathers in conditioner. He swears by it, although we did not get to which brand or scent.
That said, I bought some (no joke) anise flavor conditioner from Frisky Jenny Flies. Haven't tried it yet, and not sure if that counts as bait scent. I bought it to scent my home-made bucktail hoochies used for kokanee. But I am curious if a Wright's Royal wirth anise conditioner outfishes one without.
I've heard that fish and game officers must pass extensive olfactory testing protocols to be employed. That's why their ranks are heavily populated by former hairdressers and Nordstrom perfume counter personnel. Hopefully they won't sniff your fly.

Last edited: