2023 Garden Thread

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Starting to get a little rhodie action finally.

R. dendrocharis which is a epiphytic rhododendron that only grows out of trees in it's native Sichuan. Ours is planted in a large nurse log. Super excited about this one as it's the first time it has bloomed as far as I'm aware. It only had a single bud so I was stressed, waiting for something bad to happen but it finally opened.

r.dendrocharis.04.21.23.jpgr.dendrocharis.04.21.23.02.jpg

Another dainty one - R. racemosum from the mountains of western China.

r.racemosun.04.21.23.jpg

Finally a token Trillium ovatum from my midday dog walktrilium04.21.23.jpg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here as mild as it is. Ants emerged so i mixed up some exploding ant paste and borax solution

The paste is equal parts of baking yeast, baking soda and honey mix into a paste you can add a tiny bit of water smear paste in small jar lids or bottle caps or old canning lids that can’t be reused anyway put them where the ants are or near outside doors
Borax- in a bowl a 3/4 tsp white sugar, 3/4 tsp borax 1/4 cup warm water mix … soak cotton balls in the dissolved mix and drop them around for the ants to find, work great for sugar ants
Paste work well for other ants too.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have large tomato plants. I took 8 out of 40 or soto start hardening off for mid week planting under frost covers- no frost predicted but it will soften the shock they will be planted about 10” deep. I have backups for the varieties-
Black Prince
Caspian Pink
Marvel Stripe
Purple Cherokee
Zapotek
Cuostrallee
Great Red
Bloody Butcher
Costoluto Genovese
IMG_3171.jpeg

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
those are impressively close together, do you cordon them?
My soil gets nuked with amendments 15-18” apart. I amend each 12” deep planting hole with additional worm castings bone meal and a complete granular organic fertilizer and beds get sale with alfalfa pellets that get worked in in the late fall

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
those are impressively close together, do you cordon them?
I put 8’ cages around them and they for a connected grid- a rough doodle of what I do. My tomatos grow in approximately a 16” x 7-8’ towerIMG_3189.jpeg

So yeah I have been cordoning for decades with different systems. I used to make a emt trellis about 9’ tall with cross braces useing emt elect. Pipe… self tapping screws with cross braces two screws about a foot apart top and bottom I would tie poly prop. Bailing twine in two strands larks headed zand lay my plants in a trench about 15” apart etc but a different garden where permanence was okay- 30 years there. Aluminum was a lot more economic then. Anyway my plants were trained to climb with a fork of 2 or 3 cordons. Decades later it was called a Florida weave. I just sort of made it up in the late 80’s . I go simpler now.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
tobacco - really? cool
The wild sacred has really high nicotine levels and I plan on using it in homemade insecticide. You can also use it in rituals and according to Victory seeds website it was even used as an arrow poison by native Americans. The Yellow twist bud is a Burley type American style tobacco and the Samsun is Turkish I figure that will cover the Marlboro and Camel factions. Dry cure and pack away leaves, the longer they age the better they are. I might even ferment some, blend, and try to press them into a cut brick for pipes. Eventually I can use to barter in a SHTF situation and also the people that own the mani pedi place near me smoke like chimneys. I'm going to try to trade for some spa time for the wife 😆 The nice sized fermented leaves can also be used for blunt wraps, or homemade cigars.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I put 8’ cages around them and they for a connected grid- a rough doodle of what I do. My tomatos grow in approximately a 16” x 7-8’ towerView attachment 63163

So yeah I have been cordoning for decades with different systems. I used to make an emt trellis about 9’ tall with cross braces useing emt elect. Pipe… self tapping screws with cross braces two screws about a foot apart top and bottom I would tie poly prop. Bailing twine in two strands larks headed zand lay my plants in a trench about 15” apart etc but a different garden where permanence was okay- 30 years there. Aluminum was a lot more economic then. Anyway my plants were trained to climb with a fork of 2 or 3 cordons. Decades later it was called a Florida weave. I just sort of made it up in the late 80’s . I go simpler now.
Really impressive skip.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Really impressive skip.
Thanks I was a career museum exhibit designer, fabricator and installer. If I can think of it… i just do it myself. Hell never been able to pay someone else to do custom work, wellexcept when i was spec’ing and spendy the museums money

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
The wild sacred has really high nicotine levels and I plan on using it in homemade insecticide. You can also use it in rituals and according to Victory seeds website it was even used as an arrow poison by native Americans. The Yellow twist bud is a Burley type American style tobacco and the Samsun is Turkish I figure that will cover the Marlboro and Camel factions. Dry cure and pack away leaves, the longer they age the better they are. I might even ferment some, blend, and try to press them into a cut brick for pipes. Eventually I can use to barter in a SHTF situation and also the people that own the mani pedi place near me smoke like chimneys. I'm going to try to trade for some spa time for the wife 😆 The nice sized fermented leaves can also be used for blunt wraps, or homemade cigars.
I'm sure you probably already know this but the others on the thread might not. You have to wear heavy duty protection when cutting and handling growing tobacco as it's super easy to get nicotine poisoning through your skin. It'll make you sick as hell.

It's not a big crop in GA/AL where I grew up but my grandfather grew a little bit. As kids, that's one of two spots in the garden we were forbidden from, so of course we got into it... The other was the scuppernong grape vines (we called them 'scupnins') that he used to make fortified wine.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm sure you probably already know this but the others on the thread might not. You have to wear heavy duty protection when cutting and handling growing tobacco as it's super easy to get nicotine poisoning through your skin. It'll make you sick as hell.

It's not a big crop in GA/AL where I grew up but my grandfather grew a little bit. As kids, that's one of two spots in the garden we were forbidden from, so of course we got into it... The other was the scuppernong grape vines (we called them 'scupnins') that he used to make fortified wine.
Wow I didn't know that, but it makes sense, chewing tobacco gets absorbed through the gums etc. Good to know.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter

Plants can kill ya or make ya wish you were.