Smalma's latest activity

• S
    Smalma replied to the thread 2024 Skagit Steelhead.
    After the recent NOF meeting got a chance to talk with regional biologist from both Region 4 and 6. Both thought the fishing to date...
  • S
    I think you may be right. Historically the late March and early April has been what I considered of the fishery, fresh stilling...
  • S
    Smalma replied to the thread Funky Flows.
    The others have covered the cause of those sharp daily flow changes. It is not uncommon to see those kinds of daily flow changes in...
  • S
    Smalma reacted to Salmo_g's post in the thread Fish handling with Like Like.
    Hmm, I mighta' been mentioned in an above post. I don't make a habit of telling others what to do or how to do it. But when I saw a...
  • S
    Smalma reacted to Tom Butler's post in the thread Fish handling with Like Like.
    So I think I got a system that works. I net from below and behind, so the fish is facing upstream. As I tuck my rod away I can grab my...
  • S
    Smalma replied to the thread Fish handling.
    Amen!!!
  • S
    Smalma replied to the thread Puget Sound.
    Coho are showing up in the MA 10 creel checks. Was forward a picture yesterday by a friend with a nice Chinook and 3 coho!
  • S
    Smalma replied to the thread 2024 NOF.
    The latest model run (last year's seasons with updated abundances and the various ocean options for this year) has the Nooksack over the...
  • S
    Tallguy- Released mortality studies typically hold the fish for 96 hours. Those that die in the first 24 hours are considered to be...
  • S
    Something to keep in mind in understanding/targeting those Skagit/Sauk steelhead is their late spawn timing. They are very different...
  • S
    Smalma reacted to speedbird's post in the thread 2024 NOF with Like Like.
    This is my main concern about delaying area 10s opener, more boats fishing area 9 and that fishery closing quicker. Plenty of folks fish...
  • S
    To build a bit on Salmo_g's excellent post today steelheading is as much a hunting as fishing game. As such there now is a premium on...
  • S
    Smalma replied to the thread It finally happened, almost.
    In my experience the fastest/surest way to land a steelhead is to break its will to resist rather than "wearing it out". On the...
  • S
    I think it is past time to consider an annual limit on Chinook in Puget Sound (MA 5 through MA 13). We collectively shown that we can...
  • S
    SF -I agree delaying the MA 10 opener until July makes a lot sense as you point out. Additional on years like last year such a delay...