Recent content by NBC

1. N

Stonefly Nymphs - Weighted or Not?

When living in Montana, I tied them both weighted and unweighted. My dedicated stonefly box had one side for each. I didn't always enjoy loading up with splitshot so lead or tungsten incorporated onto the fly worked better for me.
  2. N

Cracking sink tips

I've taken to tying a double spider hitch and then following that with a double surgeons to create two loops that connect to the sink tip. I think this increased surface area keeps my welded loops from splitting like in your attached second photo. I would second the nail knot method for creating...
  3. N

Alaska Remote Floats

Another note, I've had clients catch rainbows upwards of 25" in the braids section of the Alagnak. It is very much a bead-centric fishery for trout but if you're ok with that, it can be absolutely lights out fishing. Depending on where you take out, the salmon fishing will improve dramatically...
  4. N

Alaska Remote Floats

Recommend looking into the Nonvianuk/Alagnak float. Unsure if any outfitters offer DIY floats but it's a pretty easy float with opportunities for rainbows, char, grayling, coho, chums, kings (sometimes), and pink (if it's a pink year). I know that Branch River Air in King Salmon used to rent...
  5. N

Line for casting large gurglers, poppers, mice, etc?

I haven't done a whole lot of saltwater fly fishing but I believe the coatings on the freshwater aren't made specifically to stand up to the salt. I'm sure someone on this forum has a much more scientific answer though.
  6. N

Line for casting large gurglers, poppers, mice, etc?

Airflo used to make a pike/musky taper that absolutely bombed bigger poppers for coho in Alaska. According to their website, it's discontinued, but I found it here: https://www.reelflyrod.com/new-airflo-super-dri-bassmuskie-fly-line.html Note that it is advertised as a freshwater line only.
  7. N

New Orleans Redfish in February

It sounded like he got rid of his poling skiff all together? Either way, I do hope others have had better experiences than I. Additionally, I don't mean in any way to bash a well known guide, but I've got no other data points to pull from. With the amount of money spent on both trips, I expected...
  8. N

I'd be happy to elaborate. I've fished with him twice over the past three years. First time, we hired him for a full day and not only did he put the minimal amount of effort into guiding us into fish, he cut our day short because the weather forecast called for rain. Instead of actually checking...
  9. N

Whatever you do, don't hire Greg Moon.
  10. N

Katmai 2023

I went through an anti bead phase for a few years as well but they're so damn effective that I ended up having a hard time not tying them on. Of course there's a time and place for everything. Lots of fond memories swinging flies on the Big Ku. Glad you enjoyed your trip!
  11. N

Katmai 2023

It depends on where you fish. I've had clients catch fish on the Brooks river with the left side of their jaw missing from getting wailed on by bead rigs. Same with fish on the Kulik. Generally though, most fish are full faced and so much fun to catch.
  12. N

NOLA Redfish

Great question. Both trips were bachelor parties and not in my control to pick the guides unfortunately.
  13. N

NOLA Redfish

I do not recommend fishing with Greg Moon, I've fished with him twice and both times have been terrible.
  14. N

Alaska River Float (Goodnews) Tips and Suggestions

I second the slack water. Some of the best coho fishing I've encountered was in back eddys and frog water that would not normally be considered "fishy" water. Throw on a wog/popper and get to work.
  15. N

Alaska Float Fly Recs

@mtskibum16 Dolly's will work effectively but sometimes it can be nice to throw a lighter sculpin pattern. I've found those Dolly's get heavy after a few days of casting them. I'll dig around in my old boxes and see if I can't find any flies. Those mice will definitely work as well, I've just...