Recent content by Jim in Anacortes

1. J

Lings

I was stoked the day I got my first black and white depth sounder. Years later I got my "seven color Foruno"..holy hell, I played that thing like a strata various violin. Today..the electronics are simply mind blowing.
  2. J

Lings

When GPS first came out, it was intentionally "dumbed down" to only allow the military precise locating. Smart people used the old technology of RDF to make the GPS much more precise. Eventually our military allowed the precision in GPS that we see today.
  3. J

Lings

I remember the paper rolls on my depth sounder. We used to draw some damn funny cartoons over the soundings. The electronics today are miraculous compared to our RDF (radio direction finder) that was state of the art back then.
  4. J

Monster Brown Trout!

The Walker in the Eastern Sierra has some big Browns, and the lake nearby, huge Browns. These fish get quite large. Taxidermists are a thing in this area..big trophy fish.
  5. J

NFR Humor

I asked "Siri".."Why am I still single?"...my front facing camera turned on.
  6. J

Lings

IMHO, Lingcod makes for a good fish taco. A "white sauce" with a quality tortilla, combined with finely chopped cabbage and my favorite hot sauce. Grilled on a smokey BBQ ..... But this fish is quite unique from what I have observed. When diving, I have seen them, motionless, just observing...
  7. J

Monster Turtle

8. J

Monster Turtle

I was once fishing a small stream in the Ozark's for Small Mouth bass with a topwater. I fished downstream to an area where the locals were fishing for gar with a .22 rifle. As I recall, they were quite quizzical about my fishing techniques. I headed back upstream, but never forgot the encounter.
  9. J

Monster Turtle

As a kid growing up in the East, snapping turtles were fearsome and feared. "Skinny dipping" was often employed. And then there was the hit song on the radio "My Ding A Ling" by Chuck Berry regarding "swimming across Turtle Creek". The lyrics were simply hilarious to us hicks.
  10. J

Monster Turtle

I had a girlfriend that went kayaking in San Diego Bay one day. She was terrified by some "monster" "as big as a fifty five gallon oil drum", that was following her around. I was skeptical, but she was pretty shaken up. Turns out there is a population of giant turtles in the south bay that can...
  11. J

Little Update

And the photo in post #115, is quite remarkable (IMHO). The six men, (all beaming with joy) as they all triumphantly hold up an enormous amount of the most delicious seafood on Earth. I know a powerful image when I see one. The image in post #115 is powerful AND the story behind it is remarkable..
  12. J

Little Update

Post #115.. that is going to be hard to beat for the best post ever on this forum.
  13. J

Lings

IMHO one of the best tasting fish on the planet. In California , I would catch them by simply dropping a very elongated swim bait (on a lead head) to the bottom, and leave it motionless. I don't know why but it worked. Some fish had a flesh color that was disturbingly green, but the flavor of...
  14. J

Eels

Humbly trying not to derail the thread,,,are these "slime eels" in the PNW ever used as bait?
  15. J

Eels

This thread compelled me to shop for an eel skin wallet on Amazon. I like the $70 one. The feel of an eel's hide..it is unique.