Recent content by Herkileez

1. Herkileez

Black bamboo “ugly stick”

Goes to show that a good caster can cast any rod, whereas a $1000 rod won't help a crappy caster.
  2. Herkileez

Black bamboo “ugly stick”

Cool idea ! I also like that it has built-in theft protection...(Bet you can leave it leaning against your vehicle all night...and it'll still be there in the morning...;) )
  3. Herkileez

NFR Humor

My wife and I have been together almost as long as Sirhan Sirhan has been in jail (I don't know who'll be out first)) I was looking through our texts the other day. It seems most of them take place in Costco (where we go for the 7-course meals: ie: free food samples). ..and this (literally) is...
  4. Herkileez

Riverstick Custom Wading Staffs

Another round ready to be built to your preferred length. Price is now $120 plus $20 shipping (in NA) = $140 usd. ( my aluminum prices have nearly doubled since my last increase 6 years ago...so its time...) Please pm for details.
  5. Herkileez

Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Just a headsup: I used a dark thread trim band under lighter wraps, burying it before doing one more band at the end. It didn't show through until I put the finish on the wrap...now a varicose vein as a reminder not to do it again....hopefully posting this saves others from making the same mistake.
  6. Herkileez

My vote would be orange, with a single wrap black band....similar to this.
  7. Herkileez

I did the bottom two tone on tone, but actually prefer the contrast of the 3rd from bottom....The tone on tone seems to fizzle out, in my mind..., where the other, IMO, seems to give it more pop.
  8. Herkileez

I was thinking you'd done a combo of white/gray with blue trim bands (I guess was temp wrap) I would make sure you have a good contrast with the blue. If you try to match the blue blank, and the shade is off, it can spoil/waste the effect. IMO, better to have a good contrast, w/o overpowering...
  9. Herkileez

If this is yours in the pic, I think that combo will really pop once you get the finish on it, without overpowering the colour of the blank...Gonna be nice !
  10. Herkileez

NFR Humor

My allowance was being "allowed" to drag our lawnmower around the neighborhood cutting lawns....one of the most valuable life lessons I could have learned. Being that this is a "humour" thread, I do remember that my parents laughed and laughed the one time I did mention allowance...if that...
  11. Herkileez

It works well for on/off and controlling the speed w/o having to fidget with the trigger on the drill.
  12. Herkileez

Here's my Hi-tech lathe....
  13. Herkileez

Cork comes in different grades, that don't seem to follow any logical pattern. Grade "A", in any other product, is usually good, but in cork, it's pretty crappy. "Flor", and "extra flor" are top grades and very expensive.. "Select" and "extra select" are in between, I usually go with "extra...
  14. Herkileez

Foam between each 1/2" round might be a good idea. Burled cork, w/o the varnish finish, and with foam spacers, would look good, should be grippy...and wouldn't show the grime, like plain cork. This will give an idea of how it might like. Hey...Lookin' good out there is important too....;)...
  15. Herkileez

Thanks. I used burnt cork, with a white plastic spacer.for one...and striped cork with burnt cork spacer for the other. FYI: I did find plastic can be a P.I.T.A. because the Titebond glue doesn't adhere that well and tends to separate when turning the grip. I've also used craft foam sheets in...