Recent content by gwb72tii

1. G

What line to use fishing from a boat?

type 9 vs type 3 being how fast the line sinks?
  2. G

What line to use fishing from a boat?

I'm getting closer to having my boat in the water and am new to SRC fly fishing, but not fly fishing in general. I'll be fishing from a boat so I would like to hear about line types specifically. I fish a 5wt G Loomis rod. Thanks!
  3. G

Puget Sound

That last hatchery is interesting. I was told some years ago the Minter quit propagating chum salmon? My son and I would fly fish for them in the estuary just below the hatchery with small chartreuse flies with ancient Fenwick fiberglass 7wt rods. Lots of fun.
  4. G

Puget Sound

Terrific news.I lived in a high bank waterfront home on Fox Island for 23 years looking directly over at the gravel pit that became Chambers Bay golf course. We would see herring balls all the time, with seagulls diving on them and seals having a great time. Then over the years they disappeared...
  5. G

Fishfinder/depth sounder recommendation wanted

Thanks everyone. I had never considered Lowrance, yet when I look at guide websites where they show pictures of their boats, there is a lot of Lowrance users.
  6. G

Fishfinder/depth sounder recommendation wanted

So i bought a 20ft a Duckworth, and need to outfit it with electronics for fishing and general usage. I'll be SRC fishing with it, but also using a downrigger, crabbing and shrimping. My issue with looking up which unit is the "best", most websites come back looking like they are Amazon websites...
  7. G

South Sound spotted shrimp?

Anyone had any luck in the south sound fishing for spotted shrimp. I've shrimped on Dabob Bay over the last several years, and while there are shrimp there a LOTS of boaters. I live in Area 13, have a boat, but don't want to waste what few days are available to shrimp. ??
  8. G

Saltwater SRC/Coho rod recommendation

from what I've read, 5wt seems right
  9. G

Saltwater SRC/Coho rod recommendation

Newbie here to SRC fishing. I have a boat and will be fishing from it, casting towards shore. I have a Loomis 5wt, but it's not built for the salt. I don't care to spend $1000 on a rod if I can help it and thankfully there are a number of less costly rods to choose from. What rod would you...
  10. G

Where to fish for Sea run Cutthroat

I'm not asking anyone to give up their favorite spots, or name the beaches etc. I just bought a boat and will now be able to drift fish for cutts. What type of beach do you look for when targeting cutts? I am a complete newbie.
  11. G

Puget Sound

So here's a question for you SRC folks, how big do SRC's get? For the most part, what I see posted here are in the 2lb range. Reason for asking is some years ago my father-in-law was fishing a buzz bomb off the Fox Island beach below our house, and caught what I believed to be a SRC. The fish...
  12. G

Non-Fly River chum techniques?

Fishing for chum's with a chartreuse fly in a local stream, as the tide comes in, with an old Fenwick 7wt, is a blast. My young son (at the time) landed a 10lb striped hook beaked fish that was a locomotive at the end of his line. All hook and release, but IMHO a more fun fish to catch than coho's.