PNWflyfishing has a Facebook page now...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Howdy all!

We've made a FB page for the site. If you're are on Facebook, give us a like and a follow. Here's the URL

https://www.facebook.com/pnwflyfishingforum

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 1.44.59 PM.png

Why is this important? Well, it's not really. But if you are someone who uses Facebook regularly, it would be rad if you could share the posts we make there. ESPECIALLY if you are part of any flyfishing groups. Mostly, we'll just be promoting new articles there for now. But in the future we could also see posting about cool threads or upcoming events. The idea isn't for us to be active on Facebook, the idea is to connect with PNW flyfishers who aren't aware of the site.

Here's instructions on how to share a post if you aren't aware:

1. Click the "share" button under a post you'd like to share.
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 2.56.12 PM.png
2. chose where you'd like to share it.
- Share Now posts it directly to your FB feed
- Share to Feed lets you add text comments, and then shares to your feed
- Send in Messenger is good if you are sharing to a specific person and use FB Messenger to talk to them
- Share to a Group is great is you are part of a fishing group you think might be interested in the post you are sharing (and is probably the best promotion for us)
- The other options aren't as useful.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.05.20 PM.png
3. I tend to click the "include original post" when sharing. But it is not strictly necessary.
4. Click "post"!

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I hope this doesn’t pull traffic/content from the forum. I’m trying to stay away from FB (sadly as it can serve many a service). Any thoughts?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I hope this doesn’t pull traffic/content from the forum. I’m trying to stay away from FB (sadly as it can serve many a service). Any thoughts?
It won't work that way. We are hoping to bring traffic to the forum. Not vice versa.

flybill

Life of the Party
Liked it and checked it out! There is also a group on FB called PNW Fly Fishing..

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Liked it and checked it out! There is also a group on FB called PNW Fly Fishing..
There is a group called that. They're based in Canada and are just a FB group. We just made a page to share our content, not have a group page (which is a different format on there). We own the trademark for PNW Fly Fishing, so there is no issue with us doing that (we are also a business, they are not).

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Just to be clear, we're not going to have conversations or threads over ON Facebook. We're just sharing content FROM pnwflyfishing.com TO Facebook hoping to encourage people from there to visit here. The biggest hurdle for a site like ours is that we need some amount of new members showing up to replace those who wander off to other hobbies over the years. To ensure that we have those new users, we need to let people know we exist. And as there are a number of flyfishing folks who use Facebook, we figured this would be a good place to start.

After all, it's not like we're going to be running a superbowl ad...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Additionally, we've really been fighting with Google to show up in search results (it doesn't want to index our threads/articles for whatever reason). So until we get that figured out, we need to get our stuff out there in other ways, and this is our solution.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
The biggest hurdle for a site like ours is that we need some amount of new members showing up to replace those who wander off to other hobbies over the years.
???????? Perish the thought!!!

Good luck with the FB machine.

Cheers

flybill

Life of the Party
There is a group called that. They're based in Canada and are just a FB group. We just made a page to share our content, not have a group page (which is a different format on there). We own the trademark for PNW Fly Fishing, so there is no issue with us doing that (we are also a business, they are not).
I get that, just commenting so people know there's another group! I'll share the page today! Looks good!!

If you build it they will come! And I've mentioned the site to many people! A lot of my customers at my shop fish and I frequently wear my PNW FF hat to work!

T

Tombraider

That's a shame and I'll watch this site die too. Keep it here please. Jimbo.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I get that, just commenting so people know there's another group! I'll share the page today! Looks good!!

If you build it they will come! And I've mentioned the site to many people! A lot of my customers at my shop fish and I frequently wear my PNW FF hat to work!
APPRECIATE that Bill🍻

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That's a shame and I'll watch this site die too. Keep it here please. Jimbo.
See our previous comments. All we're doing is making sure our articles are being shared there. I don't even have a FB account, so I have no intention of sending our discussions over there.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Reddit my be a good spot as well?
Not much to be done there other than drop comments here and there. I feel like if you post full on article links, they'll remove it as spam or it'll get no upvotes. I know the mods of the fly fishing subforum (I used to mod it back in the day), so I could check. But I don't think it'd get much lovin.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not much to be done there other than drop comments here and there. I feel like if you post full on article links, they'll remove it as spam or it'll get no upvotes. I know the mods of the fly fishing subforum (I used to mod it back in the day), so I could check. But I don't think it'd get much lovin.
fair, i dont use reddit to often so i dont know the ropes.