Scotty R-5 Rod Holder will NOT Securely Hold Flyrods as Depicted on Packaging

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
I wondered about added resistance depending on where you routed the line - I guess added “drag” is what I am wondering about and increased likelihood of a broken tippet
I don’t adjust my drag any and the rod is pointed slightly up as you can see in the pic bit and I don’t have any problem with it slipping out either…

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Scott Salzer

Morning. Fair number of You Tubers doing what u suggest.

I thought of using Pipe Insulation but when I found the Propel Rod Floats at Walmart, I liked how they were constructed. The foam seems more dense and durable than pipe wrap. Each end of the cylinder has been neatly tapered which I liked. I am thinking the taper will help alleviate some flyline and/or tippet abrasion. The center hole used to insert the rods is smaller/tighter than the pipe wrap I am familar with. 3 wraps for 5 bucks. I figured Id give them a try.

I would imagine one could maybe find thin diameter pipe wrap like for 1/4 or 1/2 inch pipe. One could also taper the pipe wrap ends using a belt sander. I mentioned it above but one could also use the Velcro One Wrap to wrap the pipe wrap. How many times can one use the word wrap in a sentence?

Be safe all.

Bob

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
My boat had several Tempress Fish-On style rod holder bases installed when I got it. Last year I bought one of their light tackle rod holders to try with fly gear. They do the job.
CD4A35AD-3AC3-453B-B4F0-00241732A353.jpeg

I usually use it to fish one rod off the bow while anchored. It’s secure enough. I tested it by not paying attention until I heard the reel spinning against the drag as a fish takes off with the rod tip buried in the lake :LOL:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I sent an email on this R-5 flyrod placement issue to Scotty on Saturday...and got a response back this morning. They are changing the picture on future packaging and their on-line material to reflect the correct placement. No doubt I'm not the only one who has contacted them.

I am, however, impressed with the prompt response and product instruction modification. Scotty makes many outstanding products....many of which are actually manufacturered in Canada (as is the R-5). This is the pic they sent me.

fly0290-700x700.jpg

Last edited:

BDD

Steelhead
I have used the old-style Scotty rod holder on my pram for years and have never had any trouble whatsoever...when I actually use it. There have been times when I was lazy and didn't put the fly rod into the holder and paid the price. :(

However the Scotty base system does not bolt to our raft/pontoon frames very well and for this reason, we have used Folbe brand for a number of years as it bolts tightly to our frames. Good company and based local out of Seattle but they can be a little "sticky" at times and I have preferred the Scotty holders for quickly getting the rods in and out of the holder itself.

Just today I received a new holder from Stealth products and excitedly bolted it to our frame and it fits very snugly. Other features I liked about it are the durability, compactness, and lightweight. I am looking forward to using it while fishing as soon as the opportunity arrives. I think these will be a good fit for kayaks, pontoons/rafts, and even boats with sliding rail systems. I will be doing a product review on our Facebook page after trying it out in the field. I can envision mounting two holders on my boat, heading out to a spot with the 2-rod endorsement and backtrolling the heck out of some plugs. ;)So far, I am impressed with Stealth holders. Another benefit is the base looks to be adaptable with the Scotty holders if you already have one.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have used the old-style Scotty rod holder on my pram for years and have never had any trouble whatsoever...when I actually use it. There have been times when I was lazy and didn't put the fly rod into the holder and paid the price. :(

However the Scotty base system does not bolt to our raft/pontoon frames very well and for this reason, we have used Folbe brand for a number of years as it bolts tightly to our frames. Good company and based local out of Seattle but they can be a little "sticky" at times and I have preferred the Scotty holders for quickly getting the rods in and out of the holder itself.

Just today I received a new holder from Stealth products and excitedly bolted it to our frame and it fits very snugly. Other features I liked about it are the durability, compactness, and lightweight. I am looking forward to using it while fishing as soon as the opportunity arrives. I think these will be a good fit for kayaks, pontoons/rafts, and even boats with sliding rail systems. I will be doing a product review on our Facebook page after trying it out in the field. I can envision mounting two holders on my boat, heading out to a spot with the 2-rod endorsement and backtrolling the heck out of some plugs. ;)So far, I am impressed with Stealth holders. Another benefit is the base looks to be adaptable with the Scotty holders if you already have one.

Are there any pictures showing its use with flyrods? It's difficult to see how it could work well with a single hand flyrod.

BDD

Steelhead
Are there any pictures showing its use with flyrods? It's difficult to see how it could work well with a single hand flyrod.
That I'm not sure. I'm not their rep and I just saw their website last Thursday. I made an inquiry on Friday and they sent me a sample today. I scrolled through their website and saw a lot of different models; I assumed one was specifically made for fly fishing setups but honestly, I was more concerned with the base mount matching up with our frame size. I am in contact with the owner; I'll reach out and see which one is designed for fly fishing.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
They say their system is designed to fit into Scotty and Cabela's bases, so I would presume that it would work the other way around.

BDD

Steelhead
Following up on this, attached is a picture I got from Cari at Stealth. While they don't have one specifically for fly rods, if the rod has a fighting butt (even 1/4 inch) it will work with their systems.

Attachments

• Stealth Fly Rod.jpg
    Stealth Fly Rod.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 13

krusty

Forum Supporter
Following up on this, attached is a picture I got from Cari at Stealth. While they don't have one specifically for fly rods, if the rod has a fighting butt (even 1/4 inch) it will work with their systems.
Thank you. Looks like a very innovative system. I'll wait until others try this design on flyrods. It looks like a flyrod would become unstable if it moved forward even a small amount.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I haven’t lost a rod in the Scotty fly rod holders but lost one expensive rod prior to that. Found out about these cheap foam rod floats on the old website from a guy named Sidg. Available for $5.25 at Walmart or online for twice as much. The foam will float a rod and a heavy reel like an Abel horizontally.

View attachment 49945
I tried these rod floats out this week on two 6 weights; 9' & 9.5' They do not interfere with the line or casting at all. I took my heaviest outfit and did a float test on the beach. Floated horizontally as you say. Having lost a rod some years back, $5 for three floats is super cheap insurance against losing a rod. I picked up some double-sided velcro wire wrap and cut to length for backup straps. Awesome idea!