Back from the dead again; Oldtown Canoe renovation

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
What's not to like about a vintage wooden canoe! Well, except for the maintenance factor of course.

This boat came to me in the early eighties via a friend who rescued it off a lake bottom in New York. It was structurally sound but in poor cosmetic condition. I started working on it before moving to Seattle and passing the project on to my dad. He completed the woodwork, re-canvassed it, and eventually drove it cross country when my parents moved to sunny Santa Barbara. It endured a few winters in my back yard- which just isn't a good thing, then another decade or so in a friend's glass studio. She eventually moved and so did the boat; to another friend's barn in Woodinville. Yesterday I picked it up and brought it back to Seattle where it is going to get a full rehab. From there? Maybe go spend its golden years with @OlyFarq.

DSC04668 (1) copy.jpg

The boat is a 1927 Oldtown 16' Model HW. A description I found online states: The HW model featured a completely flat floor as well as a very full bow and stern that afforded excellent stability in rough waters with high waves. The upswept ends were designed in homage to Native American bark canoes. At 65 lbs. with particularly great carrying capacity, this model was very popular with sportsmen who regularly moved from lake to lake on hunting and fishing expeditions. It was built with a traditional White Cedar hull and Honduran Mahogany fittings; seats, stem plates, and outwales. Per Oldtown it left the factory painted yellow with green "Greek Ends" which is how my dad finished it.

IMG_3937 copy.jpg

Now on to the renovation. Between its time outdoors and collateral damage in the glass studio it ended up with a failing paint job, a few canvas tears, and at least one cracked plank. I started working on it between storage in the studio and Woodinville, stripping it back to the filled canvas and pulling off the trims. My dad attempted to steam bend new outwales, but let's just say that mahogany is not a particularly good wood for bending. I currently plan to rebuild them using the strip laminating method.

DSC04670 (1).jpeg

I am contemplating re-skinning it. At the minimum I'd need to open the canvas up to repair the cracked plank, and while I'm at this, my OCD self might just decide to go full monty and replace the canvas. That would add a good deal of cost and complexity, but... see above. Here it sits in yet another friend's garage in Southpark where I'll do the renovations. I've worked out a trade deal to keep it here, because my 10x20' shop just hasn't the room to store the boat and do any woodwork. I don't think it's going to stay yellow. Stay tuned for more details!

DSC04671 (1) copy.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That is neat, what a great story. I would never have the patience to do that right, but love seeing that you are saving the history with an eye forward to using it.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Looking forward to seeing this. There is something really endearing about a purpose-built boat.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Those canvas covered canoes are classics, built solid but heavier then aluminum. My BIL had built one years ago, it was a 17 ft freighter design and it was a work of art. Good luck with your project..

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Those canvas covered canoes are classics, built solid but heavier then aluminum. My BIL had built one years ago, it was a 17 ft freighter design and it was a work of art. Good luck with your project..
They're actually not that much heavier, but you can abuse an aluminum boat a heck of a lot more.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I often paddled a Rushton wood and canvas canoe that was on our dock on a Snohomish County lake when I was a kid. I didn't know how good I had it.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Generally lighter than aluminum canoes of the same dimensions. Not as rugged as aluminum though.
The ones I was thinking about were similar built as a cedar strip canoe but with canvas on the outside as opposed to wood. I never actually weighed them but I was told that they were heavier then aluminum for portaging. Lifting an aluminum canoe always seemed to feel lighter when I picked them up but I think you're right according to the chart below..

1650241972374.png

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
This thread could use an interior shot. Here is why wooden canoes are worth the hassle:

IMG_6387.jpeg

Minor progress; I pulled off the trims and took them home to start planning their replacement, plus scavenged some wood which I'll use to build a work stand. The outwales don't look like they'll take as much material as I thought, but the cross section is going to be interesting to mill into curved parts.

IMG_6390 (1).jpeg

The factory spec sheet says this boat was shipped with a detachable luggage rack, something that's nice for keeping your duffle bags off the bottom of the boat. Ya'know, in the olden days before drybags. My dad made a replacement but had a few splittage incidents that displease me, so that's going to be rebuilt too.

Last edited:

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Baby steps. Every boat project includes a workstand of some sort, and over the past week I fabricated parts from salvaged framing lumber. It's impressive how much beefier an old school 2"x4" two by four is than the slimmed down modern equivalent. With four locking casters I can easily maneuver the boat around the garage, and I'll add a set of slings and crossbars so work can be done top or bottom side up. More planning and material sourcing next on the agenda.

IMG_6405 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
That’s a beautiful traditional craft. If it were me I’d want to make sure I did this right.

We’re fortunate that we have an excellent resource for everything wooden boats right here in Seattle.

I’d recommend a visit with a list of your questions to the Center for Wooden Boats at south Lake Union. They can steer you in the right direction.

Love it, Phil. Keep us posted as you work on this.

My family had a beautiful 17' cedar and canvas Old Town when I was a kid. I spent so many summers on lakes in the Adirondacks in that boat. When I was about 15 or so, my father lent it to some friends who wanted to canoe the Delaware river. Not a good idea. They wrapped it around a rock in big water and had to abandon it. I was heart-broken. When I was 18, I bought a 15' Grumman aluminum canoe (I could never afford an Old Town) and used it hard over the years. I still have it. It has a bent nose from an altercation with a large boulder in a white water run, and plenty of scrapes and bruises, but still in great shape. I haven't used it much lately, but I'd hate to part with it.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
That’s a beautiful traditional craft. If it were me I’d want to make sure I did this right.

We’re fortunate that we have an excellent resource for everything wooden boats right here in Seattle.

I’d recommend a visit with a list of your questions to the Center for Wooden Boats at south Lake Union. They can steer you in the right direction.
Yes, I’m still mostly in the ‘figure this out’ phase of the project. I’m already getting some good advice on the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association website, and there is a local chapter which has a spring get together next weekend down in Shelton. I hope to stop by and make some connections. This will indeed be done properly.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Slow week, but the stand is now complete. I can fairly easy transition between having the boat rest bottom side up on removable carpeted crossbars, or slung between the uprights for work on the topside. Oh, and I put a lock on the garage door! It would not exactly have been easy to swing the door open from the outside, but nothing was securing it either.
Next step is making a final decision on re-canvassing (most likely) or not and getting materials ordered.

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6429 (1).jpeg

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
The old canvass came off this past weekend. I went into this thinking re-canvassing wouldn't be necessary, but listened to the voice(s) of experience and decided to do so. Now I'm sure it was the right call, both for making planking repairs and due to finding the existing canvass in worse shape than expected.

IMG_6443 copy.jpg
IMG_6442 copy.jpg

IMG_6446 copy.jpg

rotato

Steelhead
Would it be scandalous to suggest epoxy saturation and some fiberglass cloth?
I know not traditional but canvas and lagging is tricky and modern materials would be more durable.
cool project!