Backyard Wildlife

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any idea on what left these on the lower part of our property? Doesn't look like deer scat, kinda dog like, but seems an odd, isolated patch to leave several deposits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_175900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_175900_Gallery.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240223_175906_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_175906_Gallery.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 45

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm sure they are around. I'm not well versed in scat ID but looks carnvore-ish to me. Cougar would be my primary concern, although it's been several years since one has been sighted. Bear is a possibility, but we're far enough from any large tracts of forest that it seems unlikely.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any idea on what left these on the lower part of our property? Doesn't look like deer scat, kinda dog like, but seems an odd, isolated patch to leave several deposits.
I can't really tell with the photos but is there any hair in the scat?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Need better photos. But, kinda looks like very soggy, been rained on a week deer or elk scat. It’s greenish, so that seems like herbivore.
That's basically what a work buddy who hunts elk said. I'm going with deer, since we've got several miles of mostly cleared agricultural and rural residential land between us and the nearest large tracts of forest.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That's basically what a work buddy who hunts elk said. I'm going with deer, since we've got several miles of mostly cleared agricultural and rural residential land between us and the nearest large tracts of forest.
The elk around here love pastures and lawns. That’s where the fresh greenery is this time of year.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Pretty much. Or fake tiver, mountain views. The new homeowners would never realize this.
we had elk shit all over the new toads, sidewalks until they started building houses

Ardster

Smolt
During winter which typically starts in mid October there isn't much by way of diversity that shows up on my lawn. Our home is on a piece of land that is all birch and spruce forest except the area I cleared and made into a lawn. Because we are not split into lots with houses packed in this is the gathering place for the remaining moose population in the area. I say 'remaining' because along with the development came a much higher volume of traffic and many hundreds of moose are hit by cars every year.

The one in the picture below is actually just a couple feet away as I was standing behind a rather large window that faces the drive.

IMG_2661.JPG

When the snow gets belly deep even a moose has a hard time ambulating and they often discover that I store my collection of Timothy Bales down back in the woods ....... This one I think has figured me out. Relax, they are not tame and we do not interact at all with them. They just raid my bales and then move on.

Other than the big deer it's birds. This is the very first Whit Winged Crossbill I have ever actually identified and I did not need my binoculars to do so.
White_Winged_Cross_Bill.JPG

Apparently that little fella and a bunch of his friends were moving through the area just last Friday and he had the misfortune of banging into that same window the cow moose was looking through at me. I heard him strike and reacted quickly. There he was on top my wood pile not knowing whether it was Pittsburgh or Tuesday and I scooped him up and took him inside. After about ten minutes he seemed ready to go out so I took him out back. After another couple minutes bonding with me he took off to the east and parts unknown.

I actually have a semi tame Nuthatch that we call Tiny. Tiny is going to be 3 this spring.
IMG_0940.jpeg

That was Tiny the day we met. He or she had the misfortune of striking one of the eastern windows and then plummeting head first into fresh powder. I heard the strike and went for a look. All there was to be seen was a little hole in the snow about the size of a half Dollar, remember them? Anyway there I stood, barefoot staring at that hole in the snow and I knew what it meant ...

It meant that someone had hit my glass and then fell head first into the snow and I reacted. Bare foot and all I went for the rescue mission and Tiny was almost all in when I plunged my hand in and brought the little thing up. I took him in as I have other birds and did my best at bird CPR, year just like you work to revive a steelhead or salmon before a release you can revive a bird if it isn't dead. I wont bore you with the details :) but it sometimes brings them back.

The picture was taken after Tiny had spent close to an hour inside and I had him re acclimating to the sub zero temps out back. It took a while but he / she flew off. Now the bird got the Nick Name because it is noticeably smaller than the other Nut Hatches here and the name stuck. You may think I'm full of it but that bird is not one bit cautious of me. When I'm putting fresh cakes of my home made Super Suet in the feeder that Nutter will land either on me or on the feeder while I'm filling it. Strange but I like it.

There were 4 moose laying in a tight group yesterday evening right down back which is the most we've had at once for a year or longer.

Ard