What fishing are you dreaming of right now?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Where do you find those tacos if you are not averse to hot spotting? If you like Mexican get some tamales to take home at Los Hernandos in Union Gap. I think they may also have a Spokane location.
No recommendation yet, I still have a couple of places to try before I can make a determination. I had some Central American themed food lately that was damned good and certainly different than the usual Mexican fare. The only problem was that there was just too much of it and like an idiot I ate the whole thing! And the margarita was huge-it filled the glass 3 times.Yeah, I drank the whole thing also..

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I am looking forward to getting back to the place of my birth and childhood to do some fishing with Billy here in the coming months. Going to do everything I can to make that happen.
Getting over the hills to fish with @Billy, getting down to the Columbia with you again, actually fishing the Skagit more than I do, finding some bulls in BC. Even my "big" out of town fishing dreams are pretty small as far as dreams go. But I'm okay with that. I guess big adventure just has never been what I'm looking for in fishing.

I felt a little weird about that for a long time, knowing that folks I knew were all doing those multi-day steel trips or saving up to head south. Reading all the cool adventures people post here or write about in the Fly fishing Journal/Drake. Meanwhile, I was poking around cascade creeks with a 3wt where a 10" trout is a monster or casting for bluegill from the shore of a drainage pond. But I've made peace with it over the years. I know what my world is and I'm okay living in it.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Getting over the hills to fish with @Billy, getting down to the Columbia with you again, actually fishing the Skagit more than I do, finding some bulls in BC. Even my "big" out of town fishing dreams are pretty small as far as dreams go. But I'm okay with that. I guess big adventure just has never been what I'm looking for in fishing.

I felt a little weird about that for a long time, knowing that folks I knew were all doing those multi-day steel trips or saving up to head south. Reading all the cool adventures people post here or write about in the Fly fishing Journal/Drake. Meanwhile, I was poking around cascade creeks with a 3wt where a 10" trout is a monster or casting for bluegill from the shore of a drainage pond. But I've made peace with it over the years. I know what my world is and I'm okay living in it.
One thing all my destination trips of the past have made me realize is I really like fishing in the PNW. I get more excited just learning the different stuff we have available here.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I mean, I still get excited taking my boat 40mi out for albacore out here. It's about the only "high stakes" trip I still get excited about. I think I've just had too many "high stakes" trips not live up to the cost/time commitment. That, and the way my anxiety works, the higher the stakes, the harder it is for me to just relax and enjoy it.

Edit: I'm also still probably one of the youngest on this forum (something I hope we can fix at some point). So the "getting older" part is probably only slightly part of it.
There are certain "high stakes" trips I still make every year and it never disappoints...one of which is the Katmai Peninsula AK...it is a considerable investment in money and time; which is why you need to fish 6 days, not just two or three in order to have the "magical" day occur. Another trip I make every year is the Green River in UT...with the same guides; not nearly the high stakes destination trip like South America or Tahiti, but with enough days planned for fishing, it has been very satisfying over the years.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There are certain "high stakes" trips I still make every year and it never disappoints...one of which is the Katmai Peninsula AK...it is a considerable investment in money and time; which is why you need to fish 6 days, not just two or three in order to have the "magical" day occur. Another trip I make every year is the Green River in UT...with the same guides; not nearly the high stakes destination trip like South America or Tahiti, but with enough days planned for fishing, it has been very satisfying over the years.
Oddly enough, if I do allow myself to pretend that I could fit some sort of destination fishing into my life, those are two at the top of the list. No, not Tahiti, but seems like a very satisfying adventure.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I felt a little weird about that for a long time, knowing that folks I knew were all doing those multi-day steel trips or saving up to head south. Reading all the cool adventures people post here or write about in the Fly fishing Journal/Drake. Meanwhile, I was poking around cascade creeks with a 3wt where a 10" trout is a monster or casting for bluegill from the shore of a drainage pond. But I've made peace with it over the years. I know what my world is and I'm okay living in it
I get it Josh, I’m the same.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I understand the importance of local fishing. Fishing trips, however, are a mental health tool that can change the entire direction of my life.

My life became appreciably better when I determined that I mattered too. I determined that I was going to do what I wanted and I was going to fish the rivers that I had read and dreamt about even if it meant fishing/ vacationing alone. This change in mindset led to an increase in overall productivity, satisfaction and pulled me out of the malaise of adulting.

For a number of carppy reasons I have not gone on any steeheading trips in a few years. My desire also waned. I miss the campfire, the anticipation of the next day and the planning. Mostly though, I miss the day 2 or 3 feeling that I was going to be doing this for a few more days so that I could just relax and enjoy where I was and what I was doing.

Archery Elk hunting has taken it's place in the fall for me and fills the same niche. This spring I want to redouble my efforts to treat myself to my first love. It may be that I do a soft reopening by camping on the Skagit or go someplace else, but I am feeling the itch again and it feels pretty good.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The best of times were the Skeena steelhead trips with buddies a few years back...not sure I could ever recreate that again. ...or, now that I think of it, taking our granddaughter trout campingfishing in BC interior lakes...again, the best of years. Dreams now are getting a line in the water somewhere, with the morning sun on my face and no worries.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
High stakes fishing, what a concept. When I was a developing fisherman, all my fishing was local. It had to be; the only way to get to the water was to walk or ride my bicycle. When I started driving, my fishing was still local. Because I bought gas at $1 or $2 at a time (nearly 7 gallons!). Even when I took up steelhead fishing, I kept to the 3 closest rivers I could drive to in an hour or less. I simply couldn't fathom why anyone would drive for more than one hour to go fishing. That just seemed so ostentatious it was beyond my imagination. And the thing is, it worked out pretty well. I had two trout fishing lakes and a killer bass pond all within 20 minutes of home. And two small rivers loaded with native cutthroat trout within 30 minutes. And more steelhead than I could ever hope to catch within an hour's drive. All while being absolutely clueless how good I had it, fishing wise. Eventually, time and the lure of what lies beyond my near horizon pulled me into the life of living to fish. It's been a delightful and fabulous ruination ever since!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
High stakes fishing, what a concept. When I was a developing fisherman, all my fishing was local. It had to be; the only way to get to the water was to walk or ride my bicycle. When I started driving, my fishing was still local. Because I bought gas at $1 or $2 at a time (nearly 7 gallons!). Even when I took up steelhead fishing, I kept to the 3 closest rivers I could drive to in an hour or less. I simply couldn't fathom why anyone would drive for more than one hour to go fishing. That just seemed so ostentatious it was beyond my imagination. And the thing is, it worked out pretty well. I had two trout fishing lakes and a killer bass pond all within 20 minutes of home. And two small rivers loaded with native cutthroat trout within 30 minutes. And more steelhead than I could ever hope to catch within an hour's drive. All while being absolutely clueless how good I had it, fishing wise. Eventually, time and the lure of what lies beyond my near horizon pulled me into the life of living to fish. It's been a delightful and fabulous ruination ever since!
Indeed. A lot of that can really depend on your home location, too. My "close to home" opportunities are massively different than Josh and Billy. I don't fly fish for trout much if at all because of how far I have to drive to do it. I fish a lot for salmon because it's so good a few mins down the road. So I feel like many of us with something cool "down the street" are content to spend time exploring those opportunities, and that shapes what we spend time longing for during the off-seasons.

JudyM

Steelhead
Indeed. A lot of that can really depend on your home location, too. My "close to home" opportunities are massively different than Josh and Billy. I don't fly fish for trout much if at all because of how far I have to drive to do it. I fish a lot for salmon because it's so good a few mins down the road. So, I feel like many of us with something cool "down the street" are content to spend time exploring those opportunities, and that shapes what we spend time longing for during the off seasons.
The Sandy River is phenomenal for steelhead.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
I understand the importance of local fishing. Fishing trips, however, are a mental health tool that can change the entire direction of my life.

My life became appreciably better when I determined that I mattered too. I determined that I was going to do what I wanted and I was going to fish the rivers that I had read and dreamt about even if it meant fishing/ vacationing alone. This change in mindset led to an increase in overall productivity, satisfaction and pulled me out of the malaise of adulting.

For a number of carppy reasons I have not gone on any steeheading trips in a few years. My desire also waned. I miss the campfire, the anticipation of the next day and the planning. Mostly though, I miss the day 2 or 3 feeling that I was going to be doing this for a few more days so that I could just relax and enjoy where I was and what I was doing.

Archery Elk hunting has taken it's place in the fall for me and fills the same niche. This spring I want to redouble my efforts to treat myself to my first love. It may be that I do a soft reopening by camping on the Skagit or go someplace else, but I am feeling the itch again and it feels pretty good.
I feel that. Big time.

Aside from hopefully swinging a minty mid teens Skagit fish, I am super looking forward to Stillwater bobber fishing, walleye, and turkey hunting. The kiddo gets to hunt the youth turkey season all spring break and that’s going to be sick.

Yardus

Secret Squirrel
Dreaming of waters and memory's of past years and the unknown adventures ahead. While I love discovering new places and species, It's the places and people that call for my return year after year that speak to my soul.

Exploring Central Oregon with my dad.
2022 9.jpg

Quad hookups north of the border with my BC Bros.
2022 4.jpg

Springers on the mighty Columbia.
2022 7.jpg

Glacier National Park/Blackfeet Nation
Glacier 17.png
Glacier 11.png

Entering the unknown with a day full of promise ahead.
Vantage.jpg

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel that. Big time.

Aside from hopefully swinging a minty mid teens Skagit fish, I am super looking forward to Stillwater bobber fishing, walleye, and turkey hunting. The kiddo gets to hunt the youth turkey season all spring break and that’s going to be sick.
A mid teener would be great. This little fish from years past had no idea that they were little though. They are all special. 395874_2889581166187_1858701980_n[1].jpgfrom

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I mean, I still get excited taking my boat 40mi out for albacore out here. It's about the only "high stakes" trip I still get excited about. I think I've just had too many "high stakes" trips not live up to the cost/time commitment. That, and the way my anxiety works, the higher the stakes, the harder it is for me to just relax and enjoy it.

Edit: I'm also still probably one of the youngest on this forum (something I hope we can fix at some point). So the "getting older" part is probably only slightly part of it.
It's funny, because as I've gotten older I can spend some money on trips that I couldn't when I was younger. That said, I hear you on the quick, local trips. It's why I moved here, and there are so many options. I like a quick carp trip when it's hot, or run over the border for a half day chasing tigers. I'm more into the floating aspect of steelheading now, and less excited about the dawn patrol bushwhack, but I hardly do that anymore. I may need to trade in the drifter for something with a motor and a casting deck.

In the what I look forward to theme, is doing all this with my friends. The campfires along the D, meeting at dawn to shuttle rigs, shooting the breeze on the way to wherever we're fishing - that's what I really look forward to.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Trips are well worth doing, especially when you are young enough to really get after it, like dawn to dusk. There are a few places I won't get back to, and I'm not all that old, but am pretty beat up.
FWIW, my advice is go... go when you are young enough to fish hard and old enough to afford it.

:)