College Football 2023

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Maybe we'll get back to the 9 bowl games that existed back in1960.
17 bowls are owned by ESPN, filling TV spots for which advertising is sold...so not going to be less bowls, but more.

Pay for play is currently not allowed under NIL rules, so that will likely be the first thing that gets tossed out.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I wonder if NIL dealers will feel like they could get stung and put in a (back loaded?) No Play No Pay clause?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it evolves into this. These things are always fluid & I'm sure things will eventually equalize out. Then again, there will never ever be a way to please everybody.

regarding Harrison though, I'm not surprised at all that he decided to sit out considering he's going to be a top five pick. If I were in that situation it would certainly warrant consideration....I mean, it's going to be his career with a finite amount of time he'll be able to do it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It used to be guys would buy insurance policies against injuries, but with NIL money now for the top guys, there is really no reason for them to play in the bowls.
They don’t want to be the next Jaylon Smith.
He never was the same after his knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
ESPN and the sponsors should be concerned. Last night's game between Missouri (#9) and Ohio State (#7) was awful football. Injuries, transfers, player skipping the bowl game drained the "skill" players and left the dregs. I turned it off and I had been looking forward to a competitive game between quality teams - total garbage. Maybe it doesn't take a large audience share for ESPN to turn on profit on a bowl game (certainly don't see much attendance at many of these games), but if these games become increasingly lopsided and inept, who will watch?
Steve

RCF

Legend
I was going to watch Georgia/FSU game until I read 23 of FSU's players, many of them the high quality ones, opted out or entered the portal. I wanted FSU to kick Georgia's butt and show the CFP they deserved to be in the CFP. That may happen but I seriously doubt it. IMHO FSU will just the be players auditioning for next year's starting positions. Georgia was impacted but not nearly as much...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I agree it wasn’t great football, but I still watched it anyway. Mainly because I like when Ohio State loses regardless of who is playing for them. I also really like what Missouri did this year considering where they were predicted to finish by all the experts in the SEC, just in front of Vanderbilt. Great job of coaching by their staff. I’ve been a Missouri fan since Gary Pinkel was head coach there.

Ohio State is an interesting program. Many of their fans want Day fired as coach after a 11-2 season. I’m not sure what conversations took place, but you have to think some did to cause the starting QB of a 11-1 team at the time to transfer to Syracuse. Was he told he wasn’t good enough?
Losing to Michigan three years in a row has them seeing cross eyed…..
SF

jact55

Life of the Party
I was going to watch Georgia/FSU game until I read 23 of FSU's players, many of them the high quality ones, opted out or entered the portal. I wanted FSU to kick Georgia's butt and show the CFP they deserved to be in the CFP. That may happen but I seriously doubt it. IMHO FSU will just the be players auditioning for next year's starting positions. Georgia was impacted but not nearly as much...
I turned on the game in hopes that FSU would line up for the first play, then walk out the stadium. It would be warranted. I don't blame the players. With transfer portal and coaching changes and opting to save themselves for pros, half the worthwhile bowl games suffer this fate.

College football has the worst ending to a sports season, in any sport, in the history of the world. Not advocating for a million team playoff, but obviously 2 teams or 4 teams is a joke to the highest degree. With very simple solutions that outside of money take 10 minutes to hash out (I know it's changing next year, but doesn't excuse the past)
So much potential for awesome football wasted over the years.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I agree it wasn’t great football, but I still watched it anyway. Mainly because I like when Ohio State loses regardless of who is playing for them. I also really like what Missouri did this year considering where they were predicted to finish by all the experts in the SEC, just in front of Vanderbilt. Great job of coaching by their staff. I’ve been a Missouri fan since Gary Pinkel was head coach there.

Ohio State is an interesting program. Many of their fans want Day fired as coach after a 11-2 season. I’m not sure what conversations took place, but you have to think some did to cause the starting QB of a 11-1 team at the time to transfer to Syracuse. Was he told he wasn’t good enough?
Losing to Michigan three years in a row has them seeing cross eyed…..
SF

Being a Kansas fan and having lived in Kansas for many years, hate Missouri, but actually found myself happy for them to beat Ohio St.

I'm watching the Jayhawks basketball rather than the dregs of the FSU/Georgia teams.

Rock Chalk ...

RCF

Legend

The Orange Bowl should be called Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice Bowl. UGA squeezed out all the points they could in the 1st half. 42 to 3

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I don't imagine that I'll be too excited about bowl season next year and maybe about college sports in general.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I wonder if NIL dealers will feel like they could get stung and put in a (back loaded?) No Play No Pay clause?
That seems plausible since most of the boosters that provide the big bucks are alma mater of the schools they are supporting. I wonder how it feels to give a mil to some kid at Bicep U only to have him cop out at the end and have his team embarrassed in a big bowl game by Bonespurs State.

The whole system seems horribly fucked up at this point, 43 bowl games, mostly meaningless and most one-sided with the team's stars watching on the sidelines in civilian clothes. When I graduated from high school in 1955, seven bowl games were being played and even at that only about 3 of them really meant anything.

Jim F.

Maybe next year there will only be one . . . The Toilet Bowl.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The FSU/ Georgia line was so far out of whack.

Parlays are hitting.

Jim F.

Basketball and March Madness hopefully will remain intact. I have always enjoyed March Madness.
Sucks for me. Loved playing basketball, don't like to watch it. I had profs in college who called me Gym Rat Ficklin, but that was never reflected in my grades . . . hence my entering the Pipe-Fitting trade (which treated me very well).

Jim F.

That freshman QB for Georgia looks promising.