Show me your tying storage!

Millsfly

Steelhead
If my wife ever complains of the space mine takes, I'll threaten her with this pic and say don't make me get to that level haha
thankful to have the space, but the wife jokes with me "can you stop buying estate sales"

That's a hard no hun, hard no.

I'm getting to the point that 3 times last year shirttail friends are like "hey, our great uncle larry died, do you want all these feathers?"

It's a yes, always a yes

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I finally went through the drawers and organized all my crap. I think I had a problem at some point, don’t think I’ll need to order anything for tying IMG_6110.jpeg ever😂IMG_6108.jpeg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I finally went through the drawers and organized all my crap. I think I had a problem at some point, don’t think I’ll need to order anything for tying View attachment 71012 ever😂View attachment 71013
Admitting you had a problem is the first step to recovery from FTMA (Fly Tying Material Addiction). Relapses are, unfortunately, rather common.

'One more Whiting Grizzly Cape is too many, and a dozen more are not enough'.

I'm pretty sure there's an FTMA chapter near you...most of them share Addiction Recovery meetings with elderly feline hoarding Cat Ladies. Very similar psychological underpinnings.

And the ladies can often provide some excellent dubbing materials! 🤣

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think I'm going to call it done.
Leave some space on the left of the table for clutter and small bins.

Walnut table
Walnut thread racks.
Figured/burl Walnut tool holder
Baltic birch with Morado (Bolivian rosewood) drawer fronts

Made entirely with a table saw, palm sander and a drill, and a Jig saw to cut the wonky shape of the tool holder.
Not bad.

Time to find a place in the house for it (where the wife allows lol) and fill it up with stuff.

20230703_085417.jpg20230703_085525.jpg20230703_085441.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter

Walnut table
Walnut thread racks.

Made entirely with a table saw, palm sander and a drill, and a Jig saw to cut the wonky shape of the tool holder.
Not bad.

View attachment 71252View attachment 71253View attachment 71254
Simplisticity equals flexibility.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Simplisticity equals flexibility.
That was kind of my thought. I mulled over putting another shelf on the left, or a little pegboard stand. But I'll give it a whirl for a while and see how she works.

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Walnut table
Walnut thread racks.

Not bad.

Time to find a place in the house for it (where the wife allows lol) and fill it up with stuff.

View attachment 71252View attachment 71253View attachment 71254
Beautiful work!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks great! I like those open-top drawers.
Did you finish the walnut with oil or something?
It has a couple coats of teak oil on it.
I'm not very adventurous with stains and finishes, I've always just used teak oil for some reason.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Beautiful! I love wood working as well.

Andy
It's a great hobby. It takes me out of my comfort zone. My baseline is production based, million miles an hour hyper drive mode. Woodworking makes me slow down, be detailed and safety oriented. Nice change of pace.
It helps I work for a wholesale hardwood company, which often gets alot of my paycheck back lol.

Otter

Steelhead
It has a couple coats of teak oil on it.
I'm not very adventurous with stains and finishes, I've always just used teak oil for some reason.
Thanks, Jact55. I really like oil finishes on wood. It brings out the beauty of woodgrain, and keeps a natural matt sheen.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks, Jact55. I really like oil finishes on wood. It brings out the beauty of woodgrain, and keeps a natural matt sheen.
I want to try odies oil. This is a giant slab (50' long? Human in back for reference), that one of my customer worked on. he said it only took a 1/4 cup to finish the whole thing. He swears by odies oil, and it seems fairly cheap.
Hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing his pic
Think my next project, I'll give that a try.

IMG_5361.jpg

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Holy Cow!

That is the largest wood slab I’ve ever seen :oops:

What was it made in to? A driveway?🤪