Whitefish holding water vs Trout water

grayscud

Freshly Spawned
So this has happened to me twice, once last week. It was on the yellowstone, but has happened on the deschutes before. I was out fishing a regular trout riffle, run, bucket. I was using a euro setup, and I started at the back and hooked a couple of trout. Then as I moved up the run I hooked like 20 whitefish, then no trout at the front of the riffle. Is that just spring whitefish spawning? or are they usually segregated in different parts of the river all year? Or like a water temp deal? Thanks

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Whitefish just tend to pod up, especially when feeding. They spawn in the late fall. Finding them in the tail outs and riffle buckets this time of year would not be unexpected. There should be loads and loads of caddis larvae in these areas as the Mother’s Day hatch in just about on us.

grayscud

Freshly Spawned
Thanks for the replies. The other question I had is that I was generally following where the birds were on the yellowstone, I think they may have been swallows. but not seeing a ton of risers to whatever the birds were chasing, I could see tons of tiny bugs in the film/foam. should I have swung a tiny emerger? nymphs had more luck with whitefish.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Whitefish often school up, at all times of the year. You tend to catch many, in the exact same spot, regardless of whether they are spawning.

Whitefish spawning occurs in a very specific temperature range and the time of year can vary significantly, on different rivers or different parts of the same river. If you're catching trout below whitefish, there is a very good chance the whitefish are spawning and the trout are eating the eggs. You might like to try a small (~5mm diameter), yellow, egg.

When euro nymphing, catching a lot of whitefish can also indicate that you are fishing too deep for the trout. Whitefish sit right on the bottom, looking down and sucking nymphs off the rocks. They do rise, sometimes, but the bulk of their feeding occurs at eye level or below. Trout are the complete opposite; they eat almost exclusively at eye level or above. For this reason, if you are dredging the bottom and only catching whitefish, there is a good chance your fly is too low for the trout. In my experience, during the warmer months, that is almost always the case. The only exception is winter, when the trout can be glued to the bottom and feed at the same depth as the whitefish.

Regarding fishing with emerging insects around, I rarely resort to swinging a fly. It is a fun and relaxing way to fish, but it is far less surgical than tight line or suspension nymphing. If I'm targeting the emergence, I just set up a dropper with the appropriate depth and fly. The only time I swing flies is if I need a fly-first presentation, in a slow and clear pool.

Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the replies. The other question I had is that I was generally following where the birds were on the yellowstone, I think they may have been swallows. but not seeing a ton of risers to whatever the birds were chasing, I could see tons of tiny bugs in the film/foam. should I have swung a tiny emerger? nymphs had more luck with whitefish.
Midges

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When euro nymphing, catching a lot of whitefish can also indicate that you are fishing too deep for the trout. Whitefish sit right on the bottom, looking down and sucking nymphs off the rocks. They do rise, sometimes, but the bulk of their feeding occurs at eye level or below. Trout are the complete opposite; they eat almost exclusively at eye level or above. For this reason, if you are dredging the bottom and only catching whitefish, there is a good chance your fly is too low for the trout.
This part! (y)

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
When (euro) nymphing, catching a lot of whitefish can also indicate that you are fishing too deep for the trout...
if you are dredging the bottom and only catching whitefish, there is a good chance your fly is too low for the trout.
+1, I have also observed this.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I was on the Beaverhead one summer day and the fish were rising all over the Skinny water. I asked why nobody was fishing and was told that the rising fish were all Whitefish.