Which Fly to buy

Tom.S

Smolt
So after much research on flies and reading many opinions I have come to a recognize I have a problem. Articles read buy a leach it’s a solid go to, buy a stone fly it’s a solid go to, buy an Adam’s parachute it’s a solid go to, buy a wooly burger, yep you guessed it, it’s a solid go to. One thing was notice almost every article I read referenced an olive green underbelly. Anyway I either have a beginner’s solid go to fly tackle box or I just spent money aimlessly. Lol

What is your solid go to fly for the Yakima river? I’ve read on this forum many agree with a SF. I’m guessing one in olive green.

headduck

Steelhead
I am still learning fly fishing but a general personal rule is as follows.

Learn to confidently fish as little tackle as possible (maybe only a couple/few patterns).

For me... Frantic bait changes takes time away from perfecting process and adds confusions as you often dont know why a specific fly is working or which technique is most effective. Hard to focus and learn.

If I see a fisherman selling his salt gear with like 30 different spoons and coho killers and 15 colors of flashers... I know he doesnt catch fish... I wear the paint off a few.

I also second the tie your own. So fun and more expensive than youd expect. Warning.

Most important though... find the fish... the rest falls into place.

Last edited:

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Below are all of the flies that I use, if I want to reliably catch fish. I constantly experiment with other flies, but very few ever become citizens of my fly box.
  • Dark brown bead head wooly bugger (#6, #10)
  • Bead head Pat's rubber leg stonefly (#6, #10)
  • Bead head hare's ear nymph (#10, #14, #18)
  • Bead head Walt's worm (#14)
  • Chubby Chernobyl (#6, #10)
  • Parachute Adams (#10, #14, #18)
  • Elk hair caddis (#14)
  • Stimulator (#6, #10)
+1 good list

Maybe also purple haze in the Adams sizes.

When I first started I went into shop and just asked them to give me a dozen of the flies I would need and that was a great start.

Tying your own will leave you with more variety of flies you'll ever need, but you'll learn a ton...and spend a lot of money.

wetline dave

Steelhead
I really doubt there is a go to fly for the Yak. It is a fickle river at the best of times but can dish out some nice fish.

I really believe it is about presentation and persistence.

Understand what is going on and fish accordingly. You don't fish grass hoppers in December.

Dave

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
When you are new to the whole fly fishing thing, I recommend buying flies from a flyshop that is the closest to the body of water you want to fish. The information you will glean will be invaluable. And, I have virtually never been gamed by a shop close to a target river. Maybe I don't catch anything, but nobody ever sells me things that they are just trying to get rid of. They might try to sell you a LOT of flies that all might work... just limit yourself to half a dozen flies or whatever you can afford and go fish them.

Reactions: Zak

gpt

Smolt
there are three insects that inhabit most waters with trout: stone flies, caddis flies and May flies. depending on what is going on they could be crawling along the bottom rising, floating or falling dead. that is the big issue you face, actually observing what is going on. in addition you have terrestrials depending on the season, of hoppers, ants and such adding to the excitement.

tying your own flies, i started in 1960, is a great hobby and keeps you thinking and reading about insect life and learning what is going on with local waters. it is impossible for me to recommend flies, you just have to go observe. so tying all sorts of choices is key to being ready or hopeful. and if you start tying, remember, less material is always better than too much. i have kept some of the first flies i ever tied to remind me of how awful i was way back when.

Reactions: Zak

RCF

Life of the Party
When I buy flies on a trip, e.g. Montana, I always visit local shops and buy a few and get some local guidance. I always buy a few of one pattern and always keep one in reserve: 1. so I can remember what worked so I can get more at the fly shop and 2. have a pattern for reference on future ties once I started tying my own...

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
So after much research on flies and reading many opinions I have come to a recognize I have a problem. Articles read buy a leach it’s a solid go to, buy a stone fly it’s a solid go to, buy an Adam’s parachute it’s a solid go to, buy a wooly burger, yep you guessed it, it’s a solid go to. One thing was notice almost every article I read referenced an olive green underbelly. Anyway I either have a beginner’s solid go to fly tackle box or I just spent money aimlessly. Lol

What is your solid go to fly for the Yakima river? I’ve read on this forum many agree with a SF. I’m guessing one in olive green.
The solid go to fly is knowing what is going on on the river and being prepared.

Western rivers are very predictable with their hatches..

I bet there is a Yakima river hatch chart online somewhere.

Buy flies that fill out the chart, then add some attractors and streamers.

MVDan

Smolt
I spend too much time and money on flies for how often I am able to fish. The flies I seem to stick with are:
12 parachute Adam’s, chubby, stimulator
8 sculpzila

Apparently I should get my nymph game going at some point.

RCF

Life of the Party
I spend too much time and money on flies for how often I am able to fish. The flies I seem to stick with are:
12 parachute Adam’s, chubby, stimulator
8 sculpzila

Apparently I should get my nymph game going at some point.
Fishing a dropper below/behind the current flies you have can be very effective.

Look at the trip reports by members for some ideas. Pheasant tails, hare's ear, emergers quickly come to mind.

Last edited:

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I have like 8 fly boxes plus a large partitioned box with extras or unused. Some boxes broken down for each season, lakes, etc.
I noticed the past several year’s that I was only using 6 different patterns total for dry, wet, nymph and searching, on the streams and lakes I fish for all seasons.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
+1 good list

Maybe also purple haze in the Adams sizes.

When I first started I went into shop and just asked them to give me a dozen of the flies I would need and that was a great start.

Tying your own will leave you with more variety of flies you'll ever need, but you'll learn a ton...and spend a lot of money.
Purple Haze auto-rec engaged.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
It sounds like you have a pretty good selection of flys. I think it’s probably more important to find likely spots to fish and fish with confidence. Local fly shops can set you up for success, and Tying flys and catching fish on your home rolled flys is pretty special!

Try not to overthink it and enjoy your time out there. It will all come together, it’s sometimes a long process. You just have to learn to accept the fish-less days.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I do very much want to learn to tie flies. I hope to learn one day.
One word of caution. Tying your own flies is great, no doubt about it. i don't ;simply because I have several buddies who are class A tiers and keep me well stocked and it just doesn't interest me.

Now the word of caution. Do NOT become one of those tiers that insists on using only flies that they tied themselves. I have been fishing many a day with guys who were in that boat (see what I did there) and struggled due to them just not having the right kind of pattern. I have one buddy who just only uses flies he has tied for redfish. They are ok. Most days. But in general they are too small especially if the water is dirty. So he handicaps himself by not using the right pattern. Now its fine to say well its his loss. Well that's only party correct. When I am the one on the poling platform poling my butt off to get him a shot at that 20# belly crawler and he throws his size 4 crab that gets ignored.....well that impacts me.....lol

RCF

Life of the Party
One word of caution. Tying your own flies is great, no doubt about it. i don't ;simply because I have several buddies who are class A tiers and keep me well stocked and it just doesn't interest me.

Now the word of caution. Do NOT become one of those tiers that insists on using only flies that they tied themselves. I have been fishing many a day with guys who were in that boat (see what I did there) and struggled due to them just not having the right kind of pattern. I have one buddy who just only uses flies he has tied for redfish. They are ok. Most days. But in general they are too small especially if the water is dirty. So he handicaps himself by not using the right pattern. Now its fine to say well its his loss. Well that's only party correct. When I am the one on the poling platform poling my butt off to get him a shot at that 20# belly crawler and he throws his size 4 crab that gets ignored.....well that impacts me.....lol

There is a solution to thar issue. Tie every fly in every size in every color with multiple variants. Problem solved 😌