What's your bass rod of choice?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Wasn't that the whole marketing thing behind those old Sage Bass rods? That's why they were 7'11.

I believe so, that they were tournament legal length. Other companies also produced similar sub 8’ rods. Two that I can think of off the top of my head were the Redington Predator and G Loomis Short Stix. I’m sure there were others as well.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There’s a rod I had forgotten about…Redington RS4. 20+ old? That was a well built, attractive, smooth fast action (might be more medium fast by todays standards) and with above average hardware. Memory fades but think the CPS series followed it. Good rod then good rod today!

Big K1

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Long rod huh? Had not heard that much for bass. What about the long rod do you like for bass?
Originally bought it in the ‘90’s for steelhead. I only used it for a month or so for that and then bought a two hander. To answer your question. It’s what I have. I use it for bass and carp. I prefer a longer rod for heavy/bulky flies.

DarrellP

Steelhead
9 ft 8 wt St Croix With a Pfluger reel. WF line, furled Bass leader from Feathercraft. Maximal 8 lb tippet.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
What line do you like with that rod?

I usually fish it with the original line it came with - a Sage floating line specially made to mate with the rod. It is about 290 grains and seems to be geared for warmwater. I have used the rod to fish (legally) for bull trout and it makes an awesome streamer rod, but the line definitely does not like cold water. Aside from not liking cold water though the line and rod combination is pretty awesome. Very much a point and shoot, and you can go long without needing to double haul. It will throw some pretty heavy stuff. I have a ginormous super heavily weighted crawdad pattern that i bought at some point - it is pretty much the only thing in my bass box that the rod/line doesn’t love.

The line is pretty beat up at this point, so i have been experimenting with other lines. I have a streamer tip line that i think is a Rio 8wt line - that works well. I also have an 8wt Orvis Hydro floating line - it likes that too.

One of the many cool things about the rod is that it actually roll casts really well. I guess I wouldn’t expect it from a rod with its spec, but it actually roll casts really nicely even when fishing with some decent sized junk. I will say that roll casting a big popper can be pretty messy - the popper fights you on the pick up.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I usually fish it with the original line it came with - a Sage floating line specially made to mate with the rod. It is about 290 grains and seems to be geared for warmwater. I have used the rod to fish (legally) for bull trout and it makes an awesome streamer rod, but the line definitely does not like cold water. Aside from not liking cold water though the line and rod combination is pretty awesome. Very much a point and shoot, and you can go long without needing to double haul. It will throw some pretty heavy stuff. I have a ginormous super heavily weighted crawdad pattern that i bought at some point - it is pretty much the only thing in my bass box that the rod/line doesn’t love.

The line is pretty beat up at this point, so i have been experimenting with other lines. I have a streamer tip line that i think is a Rio 8wt line - that works well. I also have an 8wt Orvis Hydro floating line - it likes that too.

One of the many cool things about the rod is that it actually roll casts really well. I guess I wouldn’t expect it from a rod with its spec, but it actually roll casts really nicely even when fishing with some decent sized junk. I will say that roll casting a big popper can be pretty messy - the popper fights you on the pick up.
Thanks!!! Super helpful info! I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these (I see them for sale from time to time and have always been intrigued). Might be time to start seriously looking for one of these again.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
GLX 895C.... I still believe in the separation of church and state. Bass rods for bass fishing and fly rods for everything else🤣.