What's your bass rod of choice?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I realize this could be a lot of answers based on type of bass, type of fly, etc... but I've just seen so many different preferences out there.

What's your bass stick?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
oh man, I have multiple preferences. My most used rods for bass would be 3: BAG 7wt, Berkley Gowdy PM 6/7 glass (I fish it as a 7), Steffen 7/8wt (also glass). If it's going to be really windy, I'll try to make it work with the Steffen (it usually does), but also keep my Orvis H3D 8wt in the rotation for specific conditions. If I fished Largemouth regularly (or ever), I'd be throwing my musky 10wts.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
9'6" Redingon CPS 6 wt and a 9'6" Sage Z-Axis 8 wt.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm curious about the long rod love too? Who knows, I may in the minority in my love for far shorter rods for the down and dirty work close in (just more efficient in that regard IMO).

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I just always like going as short as I can go. 8' being about my limit. Especially with bigger flies and needing to be more accurate, I find shorter rods to suit my style. I'm genuinely curious about the longer rod preferences though as that's actually one I wasn't expecting.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
In my case, I just use what I have in regards to rod lengths as I do a lot more other types of fishing rather then bass, so no dedicated bass rods for me.
SF

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I don't have dedicated bass rods, all my bassin is done on 5-8wt rods of 8'6 to 9'. They all work well depending on the situation.

The 8wt is for big flies and fishing sloppy water and dragging em out. The 5 wt for open water buggering

The fenwick 686 glass is probably the favorite for all around bassin. Love it for poppers and for working in close. Enough backbone to drag in some slop, and a 1# fish still bends it deeply.

I know gear guys like longer rods for picking up more line on a hookset, but im a pretty dedicated strip setter so I dont think I'd get the same benefit from more length.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I don't have dedicated bass rods, all my bassin is done on 5-8wt rods of 8'6 to 9'. They all work well depending on the situation.

The 8wt is for big flies and fishing sloppy water and dragging em out. The 5 wt for open water buggering

The fenwick 686 glass is probably the favorite for all around bassin. Love it for poppers and for working in close. Enough backbone to drag in some slop, and a 1# fish still bends it deeply.

I know gear guys like longer rods for picking up more line on a hookset, but im a pretty dedicated strip setter so I dont think I'd get the same benefit from more length.

Didn’t there used to be a time when professional Bass tournaments didn’t allow rods over 8’ long?
There are some nice short stixs out there for both bass and salt fishing.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You already know my bass rod, 8ft 7wt Echo Bad Ass Glass Quickshot. So far it's tossed everything that I need it to. That said, I'm also a beginner in the bass game and am a subpar caster for stuff like poppers.

If I know I'm going to be fishing smaller flies for smaller bass and panfish, I've got a 5wt Fenwick glass I sometimes bring. If just panfish, one of my pile of 3wt rods.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Didn’t there used to be a time when professional Bass tournaments didn’t allow rods over 8’ long?
There are some nice short stixs out there for both bass and salt fishing.
SF
This may be true, I'm not aware of it however. I do know that there are guys on bassresource.com that will swear they missed that hookup a half mile away because they were using their 7'6 rod instead of the 8'4.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
This may be true, I'm not aware of it however. I do know that there are guys on bassresource.com that will swear they missed that hookup a half mile away because they were using their 7'6 rod instead of the 8'4.

Did a quick search. looks like they changed that rule a few years ago and now allow rods up to 10' long.
No more long rod envy for BASS tournament participants..... ;)
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I prefer 7 weights. Currently my choice is the 790-4 RPL. General all purpose type rod with a good feel. The 7 will throw large nasty stuff if needed and also a good balance of not to strong not to light. Don’t really want a fast stiff 7 weight for this fishing. I do like the thought of an Echo BAG in 7, but I just have to many rods, kinda use what I have. MHO on above.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When in the Commander or my boat I always have 2 rods strung up, ready to go. On the 9' 6wt Redington RS4, I'll have a small (#4) plastic frog popper on a 8 or 9 foot leader down to 8 or 10lb maxima.
On the 9' 8wt Fenwick Aetos, I'll have a bigger (1 or 1/0) deer hair frog popper or a big plastic or cork popper of some combo of green, yellow, brown or black on a 8 or 9 foot leader down to 10 or 12 lb max.

I typically do the best with the little frog, but the 8wt definitely does a better job pulling fish out of the pads. I also have a Redington Pursuit 7wt I'll bring sometimes with a sinking line if I think there are some smallies present. Usually have a bonefish, crayfish or clouser type fly on that. If the milfoil or slime isn't present then I'll toss a jig head fly specifically meant for bass. I usually fish those on the floater, but I've been meaning to try them on an intermediate. I only have an intermediate in 6wt...well and 11wt, but that ain't gonna happen. :giggle:

The 8wt Aetos is a joy to fish. It's ability to roll cast a big popper is ridiculous, which is a major plus in the wind.

The RS4 6wt is really nice too, but I like having the 8wt power for the bigger fish in the pads. If I had a nicer 7wt I would probably default to that in most conditions.