Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Woven Stonefly
Hook: TMC 5263 3L with lead wraps
Legs: round rubber
Abdomen: embroidery floss
Thorax: Verigated chenille
Hackle: black saddle
Comments: not as complicated as it appears. Lots of good info on YouTube. Mostly used for stoneflies and Caddis Pupae.

View attachment 58022View attachment 58023
Dude! Post that in the March tying contest thread! That thing is money!!! Change the black floss with dark olive for skwalas (everything else the same) and I would fish that ALL DAY!!!

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Dude! Post that in the March tying contest thread! That thing is money!!! Change the black floss with dark olive for skwalas (everything else the same) and I would fish that ALL DAY!!!
James- there are so many great tiers and photographers on this forum that I would be embarrassed to be recognized with a win. In particular Norm with his married wings, Scott P with those damned muddlers, Bongoman, Jack Devlin, Kfish and many more. I’d encourage you to look at the videos and tie the fly and a few of those Caddis patterns as well. Some fellow from Montana wrote a book on Fly Weaving. They’re not just pretty. They catch fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
James- there are so many great tiers and photographers on this forum that I would be embarrassed to be recognized with a win. In particular Norm with his married wings, Scott P with those damned muddlers, Bongoman, Jack Devlin, Kfish and many more. I’d encourage you to look at the videos and tie the fly and a few of those Caddis patterns as well. Some fellow from Montana wrote a book on Fly Weaving. They’re not just pretty. They catch fish.
Don't sell yourself short. I was admiring that fly as well. Nicely done.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
He says enter, not win. 😉 Nice fly!

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Dude, your fly is sweet. I chose skwalas for the March contest, and this looks like a money skwala! Let me be the judge! This isn't an Instagram contest where "photo quality" and all that jazz matters. I was looking for original skwala patterns that you have either caught fish on, or you think you could catch fish on, and your fly fits the bill to a T!!! I think when @Billy started this "contest", it was not only about the "best fly" but also about everyone sharing anything they thought was cool or interesting about the chosen fly category. I think a woven body not only is something many of us have forgotten about as an awesome choice for a body, but an excellent reminder of the endless possibilities of what we can do with the materials we have.

I love woven bodies, and do know they aren't just pretty. I dig them on stoneflies and Caddis especially. I tried weaving the body on this caddis with some thin yarn, but the yarn kept separating when I put the pressure on that I wanted to keep the body slim. So I chose to use the brown yarn as a shellback, and wrap the body (and rib at the same time) with the green yarn. Always looking for materials to weave with, but some work better than others.

Don't sell yourself short brother, I would really like to see that as an entry in the March contest.

DSC_0431 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0428 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0433 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0432 - edit 1.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Undertaker-1080-old-photo.jpg

Undertaker

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Black and white
Body - White wool
Hackle - Black
Wing - White and black

Reference

Trout - Ray Bergman
Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Emily27

Steelhead
Dude, your fly is sweet. I chose skwalas for the March contest, and this looks like a money skwala! Let me be the judge! This isn't an Instagram contest where "photo quality" and all that jazz matters. I was looking for original skwala patterns that you have either caught fish on, or you think you could catch fish on, and your fly fits the bill to a T!!! I think when @Billy started this "contest", it was not only about the "best fly" but also about everyone sharing anything they thought was cool or interesting about the chosen fly category. I think a woven body not only is something many of us have forgotten about as an awesome choice for a body, but an excellent reminder of the endless possibilities of what we can do with the materials we have.

I love woven bodies, and do know they aren't just pretty. I dig them on stoneflies and Caddis especially. I tried weaving the body on this caddis with some thin yarn, but the yarn kept separating when I put the pressure on that I wanted to keep the body slim. So I chose to use the brown yarn as a shellback, and wrap the body (and rib at the same time) with the green yarn. Always looking for materials to weave with, but some work better than others.

Don't sell yourself short brother, I would really like to see that as an entry in the March contest.

View attachment 58092
View attachment 58094
View attachment 58095
View attachment 58096
Any chance you could make a step-by-step tutorial for the legs/front area on this fly? I feel like whenever I try tying caddis pupa I can't get them to look buggy in the right way.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party

View attachment 58092
View attachment 58094
View attachment 58095
View attachment 58096
The embroidery floss works great for a size 8 stonefly. On a Caddis you should try v rib. Makes for a very interesting fly.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bright-Fox-1080.jpg

Bright Fox

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Brown hackle
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Brown
Wing - White

Reference

Trout - Ray Bergman