What have you done for your boat lately?

Tallguy

Steelhead
The time to sand and finish just slays me for a project like your road vault. That's at least a week there, just sanding, I would guess.

My dad was a carpenter, so I grew up on job sites too, and worked construction quite a bit until I was done school. I do like building in wood because of that, but not so much for the projects that take all your free time for quite awhile. Everything nice takes time, and often time away from other things.

I am building a fly rod tube rack for my gear closet out of some scrap walnut that was used to make the shipping case for some hardwood furniture I bought, but I have spent SO MUCH time sanding because everything is odd sized, or I am rough cutting one good section out of a bowed and junky board. Even for that little simple project, basic design made with great wood, it will be in the 10-20 hrs timescale, working to get all these odd pieces uniform and fitted.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The time to sand and finish just slays me for a project like your road vault. That's at least a week there, just sanding, I would guess.

My dad was a carpenter, so I grew up on job sites too, and worked construction quite a bit until I was done school. I do like building in wood because of that, but not so much for the projects that take all your free time for quite awhile. Everything nice takes time, and often time away from other things.

I am building a fly rod tube rack for my gear closet out of some scrap walnut that was used to make the shipping case for some hardwood furniture I bought, but I have spent SO MUCH time sanding because everything is odd sized, or I am rough cutting one good section out of a bowed and junky board. Even for that little simple project, basic design made with great wood, it will be in the 10-20 hrs timescale, working to get all these odd pieces uniform and fitted.
Would love to see the rack you made.

It does take time, which severely impacted my fishing time these past few months, but what it didn't take too much of was money. I have wanted a rod vault for a long time but could never justify the $500-1000 they cost--especially since they don't quite fit my needs (length, side- vs rear- entry, etc). EDIT: It probably didn't need to end up as time-intensive as it did. I must admit to some scope-creep. Here's the rod vault I saw that inspired me to make my own.
1709828937642.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Impressive work! Is this for home use? or on top of your car?
Thanks! It's going to live on top of the car pretty much 24/7 like any other rod vault. Not pictured is the Yakima SKS locking system which took a bit of head-scratching to cobble together and is not quite finished yet.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
This was a case of "I should have just coughed up the dough the first time".

The $20 Amazon knuckle buster: 1000000701.jpg

Edson Power Knob:

1000000700.jpg

This was an alcohol fueled purchase from eBay. I cannot believe how much these things cost, but I at least found a new/open box for almost half of what these cost from West Marine. It might actually be worth it as it is light years nicer than the cheap Amazon version.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

The $20 Amazon knuckle buster: View attachment 108337

Edson Power Knob:

View attachment 108338

This was an alcohol fueled purchase from eBay. I cannot believe how much these things cost, but I at least found a new/open box for almost half of what these cost from West Marine. It might actually be worth it as it is light years nicer than the cheap Amazon version.
I’ve had that Edson knob on my boat for ten years now and it’s still smooth as day one.

Reactions: ffb

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

The $20 Amazon knuckle buster: View attachment 108337

Edson Power Knob:

View attachment 108338

I made the exact same purchase and after one trip with it, will be making the same upgrade. Not sure what I was thinking, save a few dollars on a hunk of metal that will outlive me most likely..ha.