What Are You Eating?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Today...soft foods. Had wisdom teeth pulled this morning.

Recently, a few things:
Summer is lots of sandwiches on bread I make and salad from the garden.
IMG_20220704_190917.jpgIMG_20220619_192316.jpg
It also means grilling.
Al pastor tacos and elote sans cobb
IMG_20220627_185722.jpg
Sous vide and seared picanha with chimichurri- grilled potato salad and marinated cucumber
IMG_20220607_191555.jpg
Souvlaki chicken and roasted beet pitas with lebneh and zaatar and a chickpea salad
IMG_20220531_190436.jpg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Recently, a few things:
View attachment 21665View attachment 21667
It also means grilling.
View attachment 21666
Sous vide and seared picanha with chimichurri- grilled potato salad and marinated cucumber
View attachment 21668
Souvlaki chicken and roasted beet pitas with lebneh and zaatar and a chickpea salad
View attachment 21669
You sure eat well

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Life is too short to eat bad food and my wife and I enjoy cooking. We'd rather spend an hour cooking than watching TV. I'm also on summer break so have time to do more intricate things.
I am impressed by the diversity
Where do all nice different recipes come from.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I am impressed by the diversity
Where do all nice different recipes come from.
I lived in Seattle for 13 years, which provided me a lot of high quality diverse foods. I've taken the things I love to eat, but no longer have quick access to since moving to Tacoma and found recipes in different places. I have a couple dozen cookbooks that I pull things from plus some googling.

For al pastor, Rick Bayless has a great recipe that allows one to mimic cooking on a vertical spit using a standard grill.

For the pitas, I reverse engineered the recipes based on meals from a Lebanese spot called Cafe Munir.

The grilled potato salad was my invention. I like chimichurri with steak so I figured I'd dress potatoes with it instead of using it as a steak condiment.

I consume a lot of food media (TV, YouTube, podcasts, etc ) and steal ideas to apply to meals. We are close friends with a couple that cooks and eats similarly to us. The husband is a chef who has worked in Michelin starred restaurants and the wife is a great home cook. We have a text thread that is ongoing for years where we just send each other pictures, descriptions, and recipes of what we are cooking and eating. I steal ideas from them all the time too.

Last edited:

Xoxo

Recently, a few things:
View attachment 21665View attachment 21667
It also means grilling.
View attachment 21666
View attachment 21668
View attachment 21669

All of that looks so amazing Gary!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Aren’t hops a vegetable? ;)
Yup, and I'm pretty sure the cheese is made from some sort of dyed vegetable waste.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Pork chops, bone in, breaded and pan fried then put in a 250F oven until they hit 160F.

I haven't cooked pork chops much and these turned out pretty well. I'd love to learn other people's go to pork chop recipes, they sure are cheap at Costco!
View attachment 23194
View attachment 23195
Sous vide them for 1.5 hours at 145 degrees. I usually season them with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. Occasionally I will add a few rosemary sprigs. I then sear them in a cast iron pan with butter for a 1.5 minutes a side.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last night my friend and I grilled up a feast at his house. Flank steak, chicken thighs, local lamb ribs, portabellas, onions/peppers/sausage, spicy charred bok choy on the grill. Plus a variety of salads and tapas. Lots of veggies from his urban garden. Plus a 17 year old single malt and many Pfriem Pilsners (a new beer for me and quite good).
PXL_20220724_025357442_exported_50.jpg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
095BE41E-094F-4494-82F7-747B99051C04.jpeg
Had dinner with a buddy and our wives the other night…afterwards as we’re we’re heading back to my daughters place in Manhattan, he gifted us this tub of caviar, which my daughter loves…whipped some crème fraiche into the yolks…