Forum Supporter
2 fish for me.
1 for my friend.

Wowza it was brutal.
My worst day on this body of water.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I went out in the rain Saturday and barely avoided a skunk myself. One of those frustrating days where i saw/found some really nice fish and sight fished to them with a grab bag of options, but couldn’t interest them in anything. 1 fish to hand and not one of the larger fish i saw.

One thing I did see that jazzed me up a a bit - a big old scarred up war mama on her spawning bed. I left her alone and just eyeballed her for a few minutes. Maybe i will see her again this summer.....

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Dragonflies and damselflies were skimming around yesterday, for the first time this year.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Found two today. Not easy though. 4 hours, 2 bass and roughly 15 stocker trout. One of the bass was tiny but a bass so I’ll take it. Here is the other.

0C1D071B-7521-418D-9818-9EF2F9D4E75C.jpeg

I fished every piece of bassy looking water I could get to on this lake for two bass. I did fish a popper for 30 minutes or so and had two swirls. They very well could have been trout. I was catching them everywhere. In grass, around lily pads, etc.

First year targeting bass on a fly for me. I assume this is abnormal due to the weather? Or maybe the lake just isn’t as good as I had heard (I did talk to one of the residents of the lake who said it used to be a lot better). I assume part of it is me being new to bass as well.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I had an hour free this afternoon and walked down to the lake to prospect a bit.

Couple smaller fish to hand and missed a few. Had a follow and alllllmost got an eat from one big boy, but the highlight was seeing two massive carp. Couldn’t get them interested in anything, but wow - they were beasts.

2EE263F1-25D9-4C2F-855A-D22EA5B321CD.jpeg152F6A87-86D9-4844-9FFE-0089B22C5DC0.jpeg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Took a buddy out on one of my locals to fish poppers for bass. It was a WET one, but we found a few. This 15" was probably the biggest of the day-
FB_IMG_1655085145495.jpg

My buddy had the real fish of the day though. He caught this nice fry plant bow on a frog popper! Trout gotta eat!
20220612_144919_HDR.jpg

He also had the only smallie of the day so a 3 species outing for him! Besides the nearly constant rain, it was a good day.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Picked up a couple nice'uns on the not-so‐stealthy bomber. Bout 5 more that were underage. I was worried colder rain would have put them down, but they were feisty and willing to come up for a snack. Longer leader was a pain to cast but, I believe I spooked a lot less this time.
20220618_102627.jpg
20220618_140221.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Fished a BIG lake today for bass with @Kfish. We took out his boat, what a beaut!

Would not say it was red hot but some nice smallies were caught. If I lived on the east side of the sound, I could see this becoming a bit of an obsession. I grew up in New England and always enjoyed catching smallmouth on occasion but completely forgot how hard they pull. Two biggest of the day for me. Love the pattern on the first fish.

F9D6668E-1672-4DCD-A700-3F98B27186A5.jpeg

1A140F7D-E9D5-46E9-AF24-D6BD652FF824.jpeg

With full on salmon season fast approaching and an out if state trip coming up, I have limited time left to target bass this year. It has been a lot of fun trying to figure it out the last couple of months though. I look forward to doing a lot more of this in the future.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Fished a BIG lake today for bass with @Kfish. We took out his boat, what a beaut!

Would not say it was red hot but some nice smallies were caught. If I lived on the east side of the sound, I could see this becoming a bit of an obsession. I grew up in New England and always enjoyed catching smallmouth on occasion but completely forgot how hard they pull. Two biggest of the day for me. Love the pattern on the first fish.

View attachment 19026

View attachment 19027

With full on salmon season fast approaching and an out if state trip coming up, I have limited time left to target bass this year. It has been a lot of fun trying to figure it out the last couple of months though. I look forward to doing a lot more of this in the future.
That was fun hitting up spots all over the place, we now have a better idea of the places they like to hang out.

To the bass pros, what is the ideal water temp for bass? Surface temp near shore this morning was 60F, pretty sure this will rise some more going into summer so would one expect bass'in to get better?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
That was fun hitting up spots all over the place, we now have a better idea of the places they like to hang out.

To the bass pros, what is the ideal water temp for bass? Surface temp near shore this morning was 60F, pretty sure this will rise some more going into summer so would one expect bass'in to get better?
God, I hope so!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 19026

View attachment 19027

Very nice! Try any top water?