Video: Japanese FF’ing Newbie.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

This gal is such a pure-hearted newbie, but she also must have paid close attention to her instructors. Most of her casts were darn good, despite the tight quarters. Only a few snags. And such determination! Her first lost fish looked near soul crushing, but she stuck it out to the end and finished strong. Just one trout, but it made her day a joyful one.

To be honest, watching her, it reminds me I kind of still feel like a newbie at heart. And I also gotta re-learn how to squat like that. Sure would help me not spook trout as much. Don’t want to be the Gorilla on the bank or in the water.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m curious about what she’s wearing. Are they jumpsuit waders?
Leland
Umm… not sure. She looks like she’s wearing Wellington-type boots over bottom thermals. Matching color tops.

Bet you wish you had a granddaughter like her! We’d have to scrape your exploding heart from the banks of wherever you took her fishing. The cuteness would be more than you could handle with every trout she caught.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I bet my wife would fish with me more if I was that pleasant on my outings. I am one of the few people who’s less zen while fishing than in regular life.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
I don't get it. She is alone in here car and she is wearing a mask.
People in Asia, especially in Japan, have been wearing masks for years and years - way before Covid. They wear them for multiple reasons: preventing the spread of colds and flu; filtering out air pollution; filtering out pollen to help hayfever symptoms; helping prevent sun damage, etc. etc... Masks have been worn regularly for so long that some people never go outside without one.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
She said she is shy and therefore is wearing a mask - while videoing a selfie. Yeah, I know, why would a shy person make a selfie video?
Same reason a notorious skunk like me still goes fishing maybe. Self improvement. Or maybe the digital saturation baseline for the kids these days is such that masked selfies are as shy as it gets?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Might be still under mandate there. Or, she could be wearing it do to the pollution around her. Some of the cities of Japan, like Tokyo and Sendai have huge air pollution issues.

Oooppss, just saw the other posts in response.

I really need to start reading more before hitting the keyboard

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mask? Covid is still a big issue in Japan. They aren’t even letting in tourists yet at all. That’s really hitting the tourist industry hard!

In general, the Japanese will wear a mask if they’re feeling even a bit under the weather—so to keep from infecting others. Also, some Japanese gals will wear a mask if they don’t feel like putting on make up. They take advantage of the mask as an automatic excuse that no one will question. I think that’s pretty clever. But I won’t assume any which way. What if she’s super shy and thinks she’s not pretty enough? Man, I wouldn’t want to put that on the table of scrutiny!

Anyway, I do have to say that her attitude does remind me of the first time I caught a trout fly fishing. Actually, the first time I brought it to hand. After that, there was much failure that I recognized in her. Kind of like the time I was fishing for cutties and a coho rat-nested my reel and snapped my tippet like a firecracker. Man, I was shaking from that! Sooooo under gunned using a 6wt.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
People in Asia, especially in Japan, have been wearing masks for years and years - way before Covid. They wear them for multiple reasons: preventing the spread of colds and flu; filtering out air pollution; filtering out pollen to help hayfever symptoms; helping prevent sun damage, etc. etc... Masks have been worn regularly for so long that some people never go outside without one.
Spot on. 👍🏼

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It's a joy to relive early fly fishing experiences vicariously through others - especially someone as infectious as this young person!