The Steelheading Secret Legit Fly Fishers Don’t Want You To Know

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I neither like nor dislike beads. They're a tool, an excellent bait, if the scoreboard is what you're about.

I wouldn’t call it a scoreboard thIng because it isn’t a competition. I like to catch more fish because I am a fish nerd. I like to see more of them up close.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm down with most beads.
Beads for fly heads - yep
Beads for drifting - definitely
Beads for crafts with my daughter - hell yes
Beads for beards (pirate style) - nice personalized touch
Beads for prayer - amen
Beads for guitar straps - rock on
Beads for Mardi Gras - no comment...

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I dislike beads because guides can have clients roll out a 10' cast, back row, and people with zero skills can catch 8-10 fish a day and call it fly fishing.

This is why I'm an advocate for mandatory retention.

If you want to harvest, beads are a great way to do it. If you just want to catch and release, challenge yourself.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
perfect timing....does this mean the honeymoon period of this shiny new toy is over?

I don't mind them. I fish them. If I'm bobber fishin' with my flyrod, I usually just go with an eggstasy egg pattern instead....works just as well. But I still have some pre-rigged in my bag....saved my ass the other day. What I really enjoy doing though is stripping streamers through deeper holes (VERY water dependent though), but it works quite well at times.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I went through a bead, and a bobber phase for a couple winters a while back when my spoons and such were not working so good.. Played with them a bit last year on a fly rod. I kinda feel like on the average day it doesn't matter what, it's a matter of getting it in front of them with a decent presentation. I do have some eggstasy coming with my vice order.

Last edited:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
My opinion only - Fishing beads with a fly rod is the worst sort of agony and I refuse to do it. I guess I'm a weird sort of purist as I only fish flies with a fly rod. But...

...I will fish the shit out of beads with a gear rod if that's the right tool for the water. I prefer the very pretty jigs that I spend waaaay too much time tying to make a difference but sometimes beads or a yarn globug are the ticket.

This chunky boy may or may not have bit a bead yesterday...

02.05.22.01.jpg

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
They work. Are they the most efficient at hooking steel? Very debatable, and according to my anecdotal streamside observations, probably not. Like alot of our favorite flies and lures, there is a time and a place and efficiency related to water conditions. Like all Steelheaders we all have our favorite colors, sizes, and profiles for different water conditions.

I believe there are three types of steelhead, 1) Kamikaze - will strike almost anything as long as it's presented halfass decently and within 5'
2) Selective, not suicidal like #1 these are the fish the 5%ers get the most of
3) Don't care who you are, these fish won't bite anything and are the reason we still have steelhead on planet earth

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
They work. Are they the most efficient at hooking steel? Very debatable, and according to my anecdotal streamside observations, probably not. Like alot of our favorite flies and lures, there is a time and a place and efficiency related to water conditions. Like all Steelheaders we all have our favorite colors, sizes, and profiles for different water conditions.

I believe there are three types of steelhead, 1) Kamikaze - will strike almost anything as long as it's presented halfass decently and within 5'
2) Selective, not suicidal like #1 these are the fish the 5%ers get the most of
3) Don't care who you are, these fish won't bite anything and are the reason we still have steelhead on planet earth
I got buck fever one time on the S/F Stilly. Was winter gear fishing with Sand shrimp. I was reeling in my line to get in another drift and to check my bait.. I looked down stream and there were 2 fish following my set up. Of course I Choked. I jerked my line and they just peeled off. I never did that again.