Suggestions for an auto inflatable life jacket?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Having experienced a surprise capsize in my kayak last year, in relatively warm water on a small calm mountain lake, I was very glad I was wearing (as I always do) a high quality foam PFD (a fishing PFD).

I am a good swimmer, but the PFD allowed me to totally concentrate on securing/retrieving my gear (which was all over the place in 20' of water) rather than depending upon auto or manual inflation triggering. One minute I was in the kayak cockpit, and the next moment I was looking at the hull from below....and the PFD instantly propelled me to the surface.

I just bobbed around like a big nasty pissed off old duck.

A good PFD just ain't that hot to wear, unless one is a bigger pussy than 70 year old krusty. And krusty is quite a pussy when it comes to discomfort.

Yesterday my 24 year old grandson and I completed a day long paddle into Upper Priest Lake and back out...and it was 100 F much of the day....both of us wearing foam PFDs the entire time on water.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have an NRS Chinook I use on my kayak (and any time I float a river on someone's raft or driftboat). I would just use the auto-inflate one on my little boat in warm weather and mellow water.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Not to beat a dead horse, there is quite a bit of information about failed inflatable PFDs (with some dire consequences) on the web. Most were the result of neglected maintenance, which could occur with a foam PFD as well, but inflatables depend upon more complex systems to perform properly. Probably not a big deal for those who follow all manufacturer's recommendations.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Most if not all government agencies in Canada who are on the water use Mustang. My first one was issued to me before 1990 and I'm still using Mustang for fishing. I never had one go off prematurely and that was after many long days out offshore in heavy rain and the one time I was tossed out of the boat it did exactly what it was designed to do. They're cheap insurance. I regularly check the paper pill and manually inflate it and leave it overnight to check for leaks. At work every two years we blew off the cylinder and reinstalled a new arming kit. I think if you follow the care and maintenance advice your chances of failure will be limited if at all. Any PFD will have a better chance of saving your life provided it's being worn when needed.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not to beat a dead horse, there is quite a bit of information about failed inflatable PFDs (with some dire consequences) on the web. Most were the result of neglected maintenance, which could occur with a foam PFD as well, but inflatables depend upon more complex systems to perform properly. Probably not a big deal for those who follow all manufacturer's recommendations.
After years of wondering if my inflatable vest would work when needed, I bought the NRS Chinook. Very comfortable and in some ways more comfortable than the inflatable vest that I used for years. Not hot at all and has nice large pockets in front for my reading glasses and other items.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I have an NRS Chinook I use on my kayak (and any time I float a river on someone's raft or driftboat). I would just use the auto-inflate one on my little boat in warm weather and mellow water.
This is an important point about using foam in moving water and saving the inflatable for stillwater. The inflatable is a Mae West style, which floats you on your back. If you need to swim aggressively away from a hazard, it’s really hard to roll onto your belly with an inflatable.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’ve been using a mustang horse collar work vest in Alaska for 20 years and I’ve trusted my life with it the entire time. Sure I’ve replace the CO2 cartridge lots of times and it just keeps going! They are built tuff!

I also have one at home for floating rivers, I like the fact that it has reflective tape and it’s safety orange.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I’ve had a mustang hydrostatic auto inflating PFD for several years. It is comfortable and it’s not popped in the heaviest all-day downpours.

However, After watching a friend fall out of a pontoon boat in early March while wearing a similar type of PFD that performed as needed, I came home and ordered a foam kayaker-type PFD for cold weather and days when I am fishing solo. Even though the auto inflation mechanism performed, I was spooked. Wearing a foam PFD eliminates variables. I continue to use the mustang when it’s warm out and I’m fishing with other people.
Fall out of or fall off of? Standing up to pee? A friend likes to lean way forward in his float tube to get great pictures of fish, camera at water level, fish half submerged. His pictures are great, one of these days that float tube is going to flip or he's going to slip slide out of the seat.

Back to the thread: Almost all the time I use my NRS Chinook PFD, when it's really hot, I use a Mustang self-inflating PFD.

dirty dog

Steelhead
I bought a self inflating PFD when I first retired because I have planned to be wading in a lot of rivers.
The vest arrived and I tried it on and I took it off and it still hangs in the closet, with the tags still attached. That was 10 yrs ago.
It was to heavy to be packing around along the river banks.
I use the cheap approved life jackets in my boat.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Fall out of or fall off of? Standing up to pee? A friend likes to lean way forward in his float tube to get great pictures of fish, camera at water level, fish half submerged. His pictures are great, one of these days that float tube is going to flip or he's going to slip slide out of the seat.

Back to the thread: Almost all the time I use my NRS Chinook PFD, when it's really hot, I use a Mustang self-inflating PFD.
It was a tipping forward event. Luckily in relatively shallow water. Avoidable in the future but made for a cold dunking and put the fear in me as an observer!