Skeena

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
So Alaska takes some BC steelhead.
Alaska and BC take some Washington salmon......
SF

You already know this so I am not sure what your point is…. ”Alaska and BC take some Washington salmon” is a massive understatement. Alaska has some Skeena steelhead as bycatch. Alaska and BC do not take the majority of Washington salmon as bycatch, they are targeting them.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You already know this so I am not sure what your point is…. ”Alaska and BC take some Washington salmon” is a massive understatement. Alaska has some Skeena steelhead as bycatch. Alaska and BC do not take the majority of Washington salmon as bycatch, they are targeting them.

Thanks for your input.
SF

BDD

Steelhead
@Stonedfish Thanks for posting this. When I seine fished in SEAK in the mid 90s, we intercepted steelhead which were not released but taken home and not reported. We did not fish the coast (Noyes Island) but in talking with those that did, they generally caught more than we did. If Skeena summer steelhead are intercepted at high rates (which I believe they are) by AK commercials, it would seem that winter steelhead spawning in streams below Terrace would not be exposed to the AK bycatch fishery like Skeena summer steelhead. Of course, ocean conditions are affecting all of them.

Last edited:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Where's @bennysbuddy, @Creatch’r, @kerrys with some first hand comercial fishing in that region?

It was my understanding that some steelhead are caught in the SE AK fisheries but not a lot of them.

But yeah, AK and BC take 80% of WA salmon in there commercial and sport fisheries!

kerrys

Ignored Member
Where's @bennysbuddy, @Creatch’r, @kerrys with some first hand comercial fishing in that region?

It was my understanding that some steelhead are caught in the SE AK fisheries but not a lot of them.

But yeah, AK and BC take 80% of WA salmon in there commercial and sport fisheries!
I never gillnetted SE. Crewed on a seiner two different years. I don’t remember seeing any steelhead caught. Doesn’t mean there weren’t some. Pretty busy on a seiner deck. Didn’t spend a lot of time looking at individual fish. During my dozen or so years gillnetting PS I might have caught two or three steelhead. Timing isn’t right.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
The Tree Point Gillnet fishery used to intercept a lot of Steelhead I don't know if they still fish there. Years ago a buddy of mine caught one there that was 40#s. I fished at Noyes Island a couple seasons and I don't remember a lot of Steelhead, but that was 45 years ago.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The Tree Point Gillnet fishery used to intercept a lot of Steelhead I don't know if they still fish there. Years ago a buddy of mine caught one there that was 40#s. I fished at Noyes Island a couple seasons and I don't remember a lot of Steelhead, but that was 45 years ago.
That's probably the only way to hang on to a 40 lber!