Salmon Returns

cdnred

Life of the Party
Don't know how factual this is but I just read on CNN news that salmon have returned to the BC waters. Are people seeing the same happening in the Washington area as well..?

Divad

Whitefish
Don't know how factual this is but I just read on CNN news that salmon have returned to the BC waters. Are people seeing the same happening in the Washington area as well..?

Brewster Pool is at the second largest return of sockeye ever recorded here in WA. And they’re all wild spawn. Stupid amount of hatchery summer steelhead this year in my backyard rivers.

I know the ocean guys on this site have been having a hoot of a time, limiting boats out early.

I cannot wait for fall salmon and winter run to see how it continues.

JACKspASS

Steelhead
One fascinating thing that I noticed was that when ocean conditions are good, hatchery AND wild salmon and steelhead return at a much higher rate. These are not just wild salmon coming back stronger. Want more fish? Plant more fish during productive ocean cycles and protect habitat for the wilds. I'm not privy to how the summer steelhead are doing in Puget sound region this season, judging by the escapement numbers, not that great, correlation is, they don't plant near the amount of fish anymore. This season could have been really good

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
The coho run is likely to be excellent this year from northern reports.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Besides ocean conditions, I think that if they curtail northern fisheries for orcas we can expect more fish here but it might benefit terminal fisheries and river fisheries more than salt fisheries.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Pretty good Spring Chinook run in the North fork this year. They upgraded the Fraser river Sockeye run and the Bristol Bay run stands at 78million plus. Summer Steelhead in the Columbia are doing better. Over all positive news.
A lot of fish in South East AK as well.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
According to the ocean guys things are looking up. Here's to hoping the trend continues. I would love to have an exciting coho season in stream.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
I wouldn’t mind a stuffing of monkeycox or bat aids to keep people off the water.
Oh it’s coming, just wait! Lord Inslee shall decree isolation and full body prophylactic procedures within the month!