Reviving a Berkley Parametric Deluxe PD40-6'3" 2oz Fiberglass Fly Rod Three Piece from 1970.

wickiup

Freshly Spawned
That sorta dates me too but I want to use it in some smaller streams. Have other gear but this is an old buddy from the days of crawling through the bushes to get to some creeks.
1970 vintage and says 2oz line. Little tough to locate and none locally. Generally use DT line so can use either end. An old Indian trick was to cut it in two at about the right place and get the benefit of a WF, a level line and a tapered line that all worked pretty well on that small pole.
My question is how heavy of a DT line will that pole handle when generally chasing smaller creek trout?
Or should I just live with the 2oz and search the online thing?
Thirty feet may be a long cast.

Thank you
wickiup

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm old and forgetful, but I think the 2 ounces refers to the weight of the rod blank, not line weight. Try a DT5 and see how that works. There are several discussions of the Parametrics on the Fiberglassflyrodders forum. Here's a link to one.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I fish a 6wt (I'm partial to WF lines) on mine along with a shorter leader (like, no longer than 8'). I believe it's labeled as a 6, right? I'd have to check mine. It has the backbone to carry a full 6wt head regardless. But, if you're coming from graphite, you might like a 5 instead. It's a blast for small streams and is also quite a remarkable roll-casting rod. I think Bulldog over on the Fiberglass Forum has some excellent comments regarding that rod as well. Those P/Ms are incredibly underrated fly rods, even in the glass world. I also have the 7'6" 6/7 that I'll fish small streams, smallies, and it'll even handle the occasional steelhead. For folks looking to get into glass for a relative small amount of cash...far better than some of the better known brands, even some modern stuff.

edit: it's also a blast to fish big dries during the salmonfly hatch. You may lose a little reach, but the fun factor is through the roof while you'll still have the backbone to deal with any trout you'll ever shake fins with.

also, mine doesn't have any wt in oz., just the 6wt on it..

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I first started out fly fishing I used to buy all my flies. I was getting them at the old outdoor shop in Marysville. It was that little green Building on the main drag in town. The flies were big and ugly, but for some odd reason they caught fish. Plus they were cheap. For me that was the way to go. I learned later how to tie a few flies that worked good. So I stuck tying those and fishing them.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Using a heavier line than your rod is rated for is good in creek applications. The extra weight will better load your rod, especially with modern graphite rods, something that won't happen with a short line cast at rated weight. Glass rods for small water makes sense also, as their soft flex makes short casts easier.

wickiup

Freshly Spawned
Thanks for the input guys.
This rod definitely says "2oz" so I assumed I was to use a # 2 line so at the time I opted for a DT 2F line.
I was working quite small streams and it performed fine.
Now, working larger streams should I opt for the heavier WF lines of prehaps WF5 or is the DT line a decent choice?
I do try for the gentle delivery in stiller parts of he stream and have worked at the rolling cast/delivery.
(You may gather I have been away from all fishing and gear for many years and was never a proficient fly fisherman)

Thanks for sharing your experiences

wickiup

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Use what you have for starters and go from there. The 2 oz might refer to the weight of the actual rod. It was designed specifically for a 6wt line (there is a wiki link accessed from the fiberglass forum...I would assume this particular model is on it...that will give more info), but the nice thing with glass is that it's incredibly forgiving. It's easy enough to just cast the leader if you chose (or needed) to do so. Often, folks who come from graphite tend to underline their first glass anyway. Regardless of what you end up with, you'll really enjoy fishing it.

wickiup

Freshly Spawned
Use what you have for starters and go from there. The 2 oz might refer to the weight of the actual rod. It was designed specifically for a 6wt line (there is a wiki link accessed from the fiberglass forum...I would assume this particular model is on it...that will give more info), but the nice thing with glass is that it's incredibly forgiving. It's easy enough to just cast the leader if you chose (or needed) to do so. Often, folks who come from graphite tend to underline their first glass anyway. Regardless of what you end up with, you'll really enjoy fishing it.
Thank you.

I will go forth with great expectations and grim determination.

wickiup

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I didn't know anyone was selling 2 weight rods of any material in the 70s but if a 2 weight fly line works, then it works.