Registration required for small boats with electric motors? What a waste of money

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I see friends with personal pontoon boats hanging boards on the side to hold the registration numbers. This is dumb and expensive.

When I put a small electric on my pram I had to do the whole stupid registration process and pay a bunch of yearly fees? Why? I'm not suddenly driving a powerboat. Josh with the kayak will need to pony up now...

IMHO there should be an exemption for motors of 100 lb thrust or less.

Last edited:

Chadk

Life of the Party
  • Motorized Kayak Registration – All vessels over 16 feet in length or with a motor of 10 horsepower or more must be registered and titled. This includes a trolling motor on a canoe or kayak.

Motorized​

Do you have to register a kayak with a trolling motor in Washington? Yes. All vessels require registration unless the vessel is under 16 feet in length, has a motor of 10 hp or less, and is used on non-federal waters only.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I run an electric motor on my drift boat without registration, haven't been asked, checked or searched so I must be ok, LOL

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
  • Motorized Kayak Registration – All vessels over 16 feet in length or with a motor of 10 horsepower or more must be registered and titled. This includes a trolling motor on a canoe or kayak.

Motorized​

Do you have to register a kayak with a trolling motor in Washington? Yes. All vessels require registration unless the vessel is under 16 feet in length, has a motor of 10 hp or less, and is used on non-federal waters only.
Curious where you got this info? The DOL website states it a bit differently (without including trolling motor on a canoe or kayak). Exempt vessels include anything with a trolling motor that propels the vessel less than 10MPH (as long as you're not in federal water). I guess I'm not sure, but figured most trolling motors don't get you going 10mph....

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Motorized​

Let me ask a DA question: Federal waters - how do I know if I've suddenly started fishing waters under federal jurisdiction? Lake Roosevelt? Rufus Woods? I don't feel like "googling" it. Nap time.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

RCF

Life of the Party
@Buzzy Well I did google it and it is very convoluted.

A simple definition: "A body of land or water that is 'navigable' by an boat or controlled by locks or dams can be described as federal water."

List of Federal Navigable waters in Washington state (easiest to understand IMHO):

Skagit River is listed as Federal Navigable but Diablo Lake behind the dam is not yet Ross Lake behind the dam is. It is all the Skagit river before dams were built. Lost and confused!!!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I see friends with personal pontoon boats hanging boards on the side to hold the registration numbers. This is dumb and expensive.

When I put a small electric on my pram I had to do the whole stupid registration process and pay a bunch of yearly fees? Why? I'm not suddenly driving a powerboat. Josh with the kayak will need to pony up now...

IMHO there should be an exemption for motors of 100 lb thrust or less.
You have some brilliant friends. Lol.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Come and get me ! That is if you can catch my 6’8” pram with a bad ass 15lb thrust vintage Pflueger elec motor......

They are likely more worried about having to deal with the bad ass in the boat…. ;)
SF

Russell

Steelhead
In ignorance I have been running an electric , 30lb thrust , motor on my canoe every once and a while for 25 years without registration. I bought a mini drifter fairly recently and when getting the title over to my name at the CA dmv I found out about it being registered and the fees I needed to pay every day for a row boat that I may use an electric motor on once every couple years. They said I would have to re-register it to make it human powered only and avoid the yearly fee. That is on my list of things to do on the next renewal.
The law is something that is hardly enforced down here and with certain groups it is not enforced at all. I'm done getting bled with every little fee I have to pay. I have not been shown how this money I pay benefits me in any way. We can settle up if I ever get a ticket. Cheaper that way.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Why do you think there are so many 9.9hp motors? I’m he 10hp motor threshold created the market. It isn’t just Washington
That's why I just run this motor on my boat and have the 225hp for decoration. I also don't have a registration or numbers on my boat (but that's because the state of Oregon Marine Board is taking over 6mo to get it to me)
1658870352881.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That's why I just run this motor on my boat and have the 225hp for decoration. I also don't have a registration or numbers on my boat (but that's because the state of Oregon Marine Board is taking over 6mo to get it to me)
View attachment 24588

Damn....6 months.
That is crazy!
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
No electric "trolling" motor gets up to 10HP. There are electric outboards that do, but that's a different thing.