Pretty panfish pics

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Pound for pound, nothing in freshwater fights harder. IMO.
I need to do some more searching, as I'm sure they will come in size schools like the crappie. The crappie seem to pull at least as well as the trout, and are pretty cool fish. I've had a lot of fun with them this week, whether small like this one from a double last night
20220909_173605.jpg
Or large.
20220908_simileech.jpg

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Nice crappie! That's a pig.

If you find one bluegill you'll probably find many. Best fish in the world to entertain little kids because they never stop biting. Next weekend, I'm hoping to take my nieces out on the boat to find some.

Most are small, but every now and then you find a bigger one.

Attachments

• 20220603_190001.jpg
    20220603_190001.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 12

onefish

Steelhead
1662868057720.png

These recently introduced, putrid pests, are currently wiping out the summer/fall chironomid population on my favourite lake. It looks like this will be the last year with a summer chironomid hatch. I thought bass were bad, these effing things are far worse. Not a fan of any "warmwater" species introduced here.

Last edited:

WT!

Just Hatched
View attachment 31607

These recently introduced, putrid pests, are currently wiping out the summer/fall chironomid population on my favourite lake. It looks like this will be the last year with a summer chironomid hatch. I thought bass were bad, these effing things are far worse. Not a fan of any "warmwater" species introduced here.

I hear ya. Makes me wonder of some of our "trophy stillwaters" would be better managed as selective gear rules bass fisheries.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
View attachment 31607

No argument here - I'd rather invasives weren't in our WA coldwater fisheries either. But they are, so I'll fish for them, and appreciate their beauty and spunk. It's not the fish's fault that they're in your lake, but the putrid dumbass who introduced them.

This handsome guy, however, ate a popper in his native land tonight - a MN lake just before sunset
20220911_181313.jpg
20220911_193213.jpg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
No argument here - I'd rather invasives weren't in our WA coldwater fisheries either. But they are, so I'll fish for them, and appreciate their beauty and spunk. It's not the fish's fault that they're in your lake, but the putrid dumbass who introduced them.

This handsome guy, however, ate a popper in his native land tonight - a MN lake just before sunset
View attachment 31827
View attachment 31831
I've found a new respect for crappie, they are a lot of fun. That's a nice looking fish, It seems the tails of the ones I get are beat up.

Divad

Whitefish
If you don’t like um, fry um!

The crappie deserve to be eaten, such a light flavor much less than trout or salmon. And fries easily taking breading well. My PNW upbringing didn’t have it as a cuisine but others I’ve befriended around the states prize it for table food.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
OK, some ID help. Came across a school of these today. Pulled harder than the crappie the same size. I think it's a pumpkinseed, but no record in the lake that I can find.
20221002_rodneyfish.jpg

Last edited: