Pizza

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This thread is for the Pizza enthusiasts. I know that we already have some hidden chefs that lurk amongst us, and I admire all the stuff they have shared on the old site.

Currently I have a dough ball set out for tonight's meal. I have reached my goals with my dough. However, I am very disappointed in my inability to create a really great sauce. I struggle to get that tangy, sweet effect with my sauce. Its a great marinara but its not a pizza sauce. I am going to try mixing 1 can of san marzanos and a can of tomato paste from the same manufacturer and see where that takes me. Worse case scenario it will still taste better than fricking pizza hut and will still be clean, natural home cooking.
333893265_769414601058817_1149100000535431148_n.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This thread is for the Pizza enthusiasts. I know that we already have some hidden chefs that lurk amongst us, and I admire all the stuff they have shared on the old site.

Currently I have a dough ball set out for tonight's meal. I have reached my goals with my dough. However, I am very disappointed in my inability to create a really great sauce. I struggle to get that tangy, sweet effect with my sauce. Its a great marinara but its not a pizza sauce. I am going to try mixing 1 can of san marzanos and a can of tomato paste from the same manufacturer and see where that takes me. Worse case scenario it will still taste better than fricking pizza hut and will still be clean, natural home cooking.
What else are you adding to your sauce?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter

Citric acid is my secret ingredient/cheat in a lot of my cooking. It's hard to find just strait citric acid in the store, might have to order online, and a little goes a long way. More tang? Add acid.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Has anyone else tried lemon juice in the sauce? Is that a thing? I am already seeing that on some articles. Too late already threw 2 tables spoons of lemon juice in.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
In a way its the same thing, just less concentrated and less pure tasting.

Sometimes I make 3 gallon batches of Blueberry curd. If you multiply the recipe out you would be adding a quart or more of lemon juice. I just add 5 table spoons citric acid.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Citric acid is my secret ingredient/cheat in a lot of my cooking. It's hard to find just strait citric acid in the store, might have to order online, and a little goes a long way. More tang? Add acid.
If you have a homebrewing supply store near you they will have it!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To amp up your pizza sauce try adding a product called pizza seasoning. I buy it on line from a place called Frontier Co-Op but a very good product is also sold by Penzey's. It includes onion, bell peppers, fennel seed, oregano, garlic, basil, chili peppers, parsley, thyme, marjoram and celery. To me the fennel is the magic ingredient, pizza just doesn't taste right to me without it.

I use this both in the sauce and on the pizza, but buy it by the pound and use it not only on pizza but garlic bread, spaghetti, marinara sauce, etc. I bake bread every few days and on fresh bread day I like to take a thick slice with butter on it and add pizza seasoning, top it with sharp cheddar and toast it. A glass of wine rounds out a nice evening snack.

There are some good made in Italy sauces in the market but even they lack punch and can usually use more garlic and seasoning.

Shad

Life of the Party
I personally detest sweet red sauces; I bet I would like the sauce you made already. That said, here's my go-to:

Crushed tomatoes
Olive oil
Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Crushed red pepper

Heat olive oil with Crushed red pepper (not too much; a little goes a long way when you infuse it into the oil). When it's almost hot enough to smoke, add the minced garlic. As soon as the garlic becomes fragrant, add the crushed tomatoes and spices. Simmer and taste occasionally. Add some garlic powder if you think you need it, and get the salt and pepper tuned to your liking.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No self-respecting Italian EVER puts sugar in gravy. (As the true Italians call tomato sauce) :)
No egos here on this forum. That opinion is really valued. I read that if you have a somewhat bitter tomato, you can add sugar. The thing is I would think that the old world recipes did not need sugar due to the fantastic climate for tomato growing they have. Perhaps sugar is an American adjustment?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
No self-respecting Italian EVER puts sugar in gravy. (As the true Italians call tomato sauce) :)

I don't know, but I'm not gonna get in an argument with this guy:

cheers

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I personally detest sweet red sauces; I bet I would like the sauce you made already. That said, here's my go-to:

Crushed tomatoes
Olive oil
Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Crushed red pepper

Heat olive oil with Crushed red pepper (not too much; a little goes a long way when you infuse it into the oil). When it's almost hot enough to smoke, add the minced garlic. As soon as the garlic becomes fragrant, add the crushed tomatoes and spices. Simmer and taste occasionally. Add some garlic powder if you think you need it, and get the salt and pepper tuned to your liking.

My recipe is very similar. Crushed/processed, San Marzanos. I don’t add the red pepper flakes though. I also add a small amount of balsamic vinegar.

@DanielOcean Balsamic is another sweet option and adds some acid too. I’ve added sugar, balsamic and nothing and I prefer it with balsamic. My wife prefers no sweet ingredients. Neither of us loved sugar.

From Friday…

29E56ED0-79A7-445C-8D44-15176F2B225B.jpeg