In conclusion,
If it is
What the
Heart seeks?

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Swamp

I heard the peepers. They were busy. Their calls were eerily drifting down the hill. It sounded like a saucer had landed up the road, really creepy sound. Nobody lived across the street, the lot vacant and full of cool stuff. I once found a rock over there with fool’s gold in it...Eye urn pirate... I think...Anyway my little brother and I and the dogs were on a mission. We had our buckets. We were going to our 3rd favorite place close near home. First, was the little League ball park over the hill in Forest Home, and second was the old sheep ranch up the hill.

So, third was the Swamp. As we walked there besides the peepers you could here more sounds as you got closer... The swamp was a great place. it had everything a young kid could want. It had a jungle kind of ambience that was just so interesting...It was just this side of Al Thomas' place. You could see all the cattails and red wing blackbirds nesting in them. Well the black birds sang and the dragon flies buzzed away and there were bullfrogs bellowing and croaking. The water skippers and these other bugs, boatman I think were everywhere...I think I saw some kind of water lizard too...I think they were newts. BTW when I was a kid , someone said I looked like Wayne Newton ...You know from that time he was this farm kid singing to a cow as he was milking it on the Lucy show...or something like that...I know cuz' on a family vacation to Reno the woman at the hotel counter said I did.

There were other things in the swamp too, but we just hadn't found what yet. So the bucket was to catch tadpoles and maybe big frogs and other stuff...we caught some on the edge of the swamp and put them in the bucket for a while...But invariably we knew what we had to do. I mean we were still in our good clothes too, being home from school. We often forgot to change. Anyway it was deliberated for like 5 seconds, we were going after that big bullfrog out there about 10 feet away but we had to be crazy stealthy...

So we took off shoes slipped in, rolled up our JC Penny and Monkey Ward jeans feeling the gloppy mud squoosh through our toes...it felt kinda good i remember...and as the water got a bit deeper...beyond our ankles we stealthily slogged out to said froggy spot...We even played statue for that fidgety big frog and I was armed with an impromtu forked stick as a weapon for its capture...

The time passed and we made a few unsuccessful assaults on the really fast frog and some of his friends that appeared. Okay so we heard mom call and knew we better come home in the next hour or two...i mean we lived about 827 feet away- I know I counted steps once...and it might take a while to get home. Stuff happens.

As we trudged out of the murky black water no longer in stealth mode we noticed a sensation or twelve on our legs...So we hurried a bit more and saw as we got out we I noticed Ricks legs were kinda pinkish...mine too and there were these things on our ankles and legs...they were LEECHES!...Yeah well that said Howdy!...shock like electricity up my back side and down again...Fork-ed stick was used to scrape em off and that took a while cuz we battled the heebie- jeebies in the process...and we trudged squishily off home...Mom wanted to know why we were wet and stunk so much, like she didn't know...Yeah right!

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
These paintings sold for $1200 each...I have sold a lot of work in 48 years since my first show. Not often since covid. Shows are a waste of time and I do not leave home often. Jeanne and I got a touch of covid after double vaccination and boosters. Not worth the risk. Have not visited mom but once in the last 2 years but talk all the time. She is 96 and seems to be doing fine.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I need to buy more #11 exacto blades. I am assembling all my miniatures now and assembling… It was a xmas gift from Jeanne. I have a painting on hold but WTH its not like i have a painting show planned. Sales have tanked since covid began. Just don’t go to gatherings of the unwashed masses of the potentially infected. ;)

Seaalki

This is a very evocative painting; I owned property in the Gulf Islands on Gabriola Is. for 20 or so years, my neighbor and very good Canadian friend, lived across from my property/retreat, had been the camp manager of the largest and last remote logging camp in British Columbia, Haida Gwaii ( Queen Charlotte Islands), he is also a very fine watercolor artist dougharrisonart depicting the " working west coast ", the light on Gabriola is very unique, it seems to have its own register, in all my years of visiting, I could never quite put my finger on its visual difference to my eye, you both use color that is very appealing to me.
The tree and its radiance is the reason for this reply, I'll not bore you any further, here's some narrative, in relation to your wonderful painting;The_Golden_Spruce_(book)

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is a very evocative painting; I owned property in the Gulf Islands on Gabriola Is. for 20 or so years, my neighbor and very good Canadian friend, across from my property/retreat, had been the camp manager of the largest and last remote logging camp in British Columbia, Haida Gwaii ( Queen Charlotte Islands), he is also a very fine watercolor artist dougharrisonart depicting the " working west coast ", the light on Gabriola is very unique, it seems to have its own register, in all my years of visiting, I could never quite put my finger on its visual difference to my eye, you both use color that is very appealing to my eye. The tree and its radiance is the reason for this reply, I'll not bore you any further, here's some narrative, in relation to your wonderful painting;The_Golden_Spruce_(book)