My kayak (Nucanoe Flint) with transom trolling motor... first voyage!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Okay, so technically this wasn't the "first" voyage with the motor. I took it out for a quick shakedown the other night right after I got everything set up. But this was the first actual motor powered trip to try and do some real fishing.

I have a Nucanoe Flint kayak. Nucanoe has a bunch of clever propulsion options for their boats, but they were all a little pricey for my "kayak project" budget since I wasn't even sure I would actually care. But I had an old Minn Kota 30lb Endura trolling motor and a deep cycle battery. So I decided to pick up the inexpensive $30 "transom motor plate" and a tiller extension handle. Nucanoe also offers a little kit to raise the motor up out of the way when launching/landing. But I ended up just building my own version out of stuff I had around and a trip to the hardware store after watching a few videos on it.

One drawback to the plan was the 65lb deep cycle battery I bought for this motor the other year. I have no idea why I went with a group 29 size instead of something smaller. But whatever. Mistakes were made. Anyway, I strapped the battery down behind the seat in the hopes that it would not wreck the balance too much and it would be like a heavier version of me sitting in the seat.

Results?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. While I wouldn't use this everywhere, I have a couple bigger lakes where it takes some amount of time and energy to paddle from the launch to my fishing spots. The little trolling motor pushed me along at 4mph at max, which is faster than I paddle. Steering/throttle with the tiller extension wasn't perfect, but it was mostly just fine. Trying to remember which way to twist for fwd/rev and trying to remember how many clicks you'd twisted (for when you wanted to get back to zero) were the biggest hassles. Some sort of PWM setup in a little box like @Chadk has on his kayak would solve both of these issues (and give better battery life). Not only was it useful to get from point A to point B, but I was surprised at how often I used it to adjust position if I was drifting too close/far from where I wanted to be. Loading/unloading/setup was a bit of a headache. But 90% of that can be put down to the 65lb battery. I have ordered a LiFePO4 battery that, at 12lbs, should improve things considerably.

So, I suspect I will use this somewhat regularly on the larger lakes. It's not the fanciest thing and foot steering would make it miles better. But I don't really have that option on my boat (or in my pocketbook) and besides, I fish some number of smaller ponds/lakes where I'm happy to paddle. So for me, this makes a nice middle ground.

IMG_1976.jpg

Chadk

Life of the Party
Nice! Yes, you'll love that battery. Just get the right kind of charger for it and you'll be set. Nucanoe is a good local company.

Last edited:

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
foot steering would make it miles better. But I don't really have that option on my boat (or in my pocketbook)
Here is an option for basic kayak steering that could be useful if you do go the PWM route. @Mickey Rat's build is using a slicker looking Newport Vessel steering bracket. Just run the two steering lines up beside your seat and put some type of grip on the end. @mickey rat is using handles from an old skipping rope. I've been using this for 4 years on my Fish Cat Scout, which has a fixed non-swivel seat similar to a kayak. The key to controlling direction changes is to keep pressure on both lines when changing direction. I tried a till extension but found I had to make constant direction adjustments if I was relocating across a lake in strong gusty side winds. I found that having both a PWM controller and the steering lines beside my seat made using the motor in the wind a lot less annoying. Definitely 1st world problems!

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
You can probably steer that with your paddle over the side.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Tracking tells me that the Lithium battery will be here Thurs afternoon. If I'm lucky, I'll give it a test thurs evening or fri morning. Looking forward to it.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Tracking tells me that the Lithium battery will be here Thurs afternoon. If I'm lucky, I'll give it a test thurs evening or fri morning. Looking forward to it.
What AH did you get? I wanted 100, but just couldn't swing the $$$. Got a 50AH and so far it has held up just fine for up to 4 hours of fishing. Haven't had a chance to try for a full day. Need to get a meter for it. Apparently there no warning - they just up and die when done. But at least you get the full use of the battery, unlike traditional batteries.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
What AH did you get? I wanted 100, but just couldn't swing the $$$. Got a 50AH and so far it has held up just fine for up to 4 hours of fishing. Haven't had a chance to try for a full day. Need to get a meter for it. Apparently there no warning - they just up and die when done. But at least you get the full use of the battery, unlike traditional batteries.
Exact same as you. A 100ah would have been better long term. But I just couldn't commit the cash to it so I got the 50.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Exact same as you. A 100ah would have been better long term. But I just couldn't commit the cash to it so I got the 50.
The size and weight are great compared to the crazy heavy Optima battery I was using. And a buddy flipped my yak recently and the battery was submerged as well as my DIY PWM box. Nothing was harmed even after being soaked. So that was cool.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
First voyage with the lifepo4 battery went great. Soooooo much easier to wrangle than the old lead acid deep cycle. Spent a couple hours out on the water. Mostly slow cruising between docks, but with a couple 5-10 minute runs up/down the lake at "full" throttle, and the battery was only down to 90-95%.

For the record this is a 50ah battery and a 36lb thrust motor.

3FAF8E23-2AF6-4E78-8E58-23713A9E17D2.jpeg

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Which battery did you get? I need to get rid of that anvil masquerading as a dying battery I currently have.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Josh, sad to say you need to register the boat now.

Not trying to hijack your discussion, so I started another thread with my Old Man Yelling on the Lawn rant.