NFR McLane Creek Trail 6 May 2022

Non-fishing related

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Part 1 of 2. When we arrived at the parking area of the McLane Creek Trail, the dry window was still holding. We headed out on the first raised boardwalk spur into the pond.
A01McClaneCreekPond_5060016.jpg

Several of the yellow pond lilies were in bloom already.
A02YellowWaterLilyFlower1570.jpg

A drake mallard cruised by a moss-covered log. You can see the lamellae (filtering fingers) at the rear of his bill that allows him to sieve food from the water column.
B01MallardDrake0592.jpg

As you would expect this time of year, there were several groups of ducklings and hens overseeing the chaos, like a mom watching over three- and four-year-olds at the playground.
B02MallardHen1335.jpg
B03MallardDuckling1440.jpg
B04MallardDuckling1507.jpg
[I love how the pink/purple color of the lily pads is reflected in the water droplets on the leaf.]

Steve

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Part 2 of 2. When we last visited this ponds two weeks earlier, there were wood duck drakes present, but no sign of the hens. The hens were probably incubating their eggs in the nest boxes found at the periphery of the pond. One day after hatching, the young ducklings jump from the nest and follow mom to the pond.
The drakes were present again today but the stars of the show were the tiny duckling that jetted around the pond.

C01WoodDuckDrake1454.jpg
C02WoodDuckDrake1455.jpg
C03WoodDuckDrake1492.jpg
C04WoodDuckHen1446.jpg
C05WoodDuckHen1545.jpg
C06WoodDuckHen1556.jpg
C07WoodDuckDuckling1524.jpg
C08WoodDuckDuckling1561.jpg
So cute.
Steve

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Part 2 of 2. When we last visited this ponds two weeks earlier, there were wood duck drakes present, but no sign of the hens. The hens were probably incubating their eggs in the nest boxes found at the periphery of the pond. One day after hatching, the young ducklings jump from the nest and follow mom to the pond.
The drakes were present again today but the stars of the show were the tiny duckling that jetted around the pond.

View attachment 13665
View attachment 13666
View attachment 13667
View attachment 13668
View attachment 13669
View attachment 13670
View attachment 13671
View attachment 13672
So cute.
Steve
Great photos!

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Great work as always, Steve !

I was there last year with only my 300mm (which is a 600 equiv on my m4/3)..and the Wood Ducks were too close most of the time! What a great place. My first time ever there after living locally here 50+ years.