Leaders for bass poppers... what you got?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, after getting broken off this morning by a very nice bass on a deerhair popper, I realize that I need a better leader setup for fishing poppers.

What do you use? Level line? Purchase tapered? Build you own?

IMG_1743.jpg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Honestly, I use the leftover butt ends of my heavier tapered trout leaders (about 4'), and add 0x to 2X fluoro (11-15 lb) to whatever length I want.
To me, it feels like the stiff butt section helps turn the big flies over. Plus, I just hate adding still-useful plastic to the waste stream.
The hi-test tippet is more in anticipation of having to hurk the line off snags in bass cover than worry of breaking off a fish. It's only fluoro because I happen to have a bunch on hand and I like the smaller knots.

RichS

Life of the Party
What northern says is spot on.

I go with about a rod length leader (8 feet for me). Two feet or so of 30# maxima, a couple feet of 20 pound maxima and the remainder 1x mono tippet. I feel like a non slip loop knot is very useful with such a heavy tippet, but the bass don’t seem to care if the leader is big and it allows me to pull hard on fish and to retrieve errant casts from the reeds.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think leader material is important to your bass presentation. I only use fluoro for divers and sliders, anything going subsurface on the retrieve.

For poppers I always use mono because it floats. I hate fishing poppers on fluoro. If you give a long pause, 30-60 seconds, a fluoro leader sinks and creates a subsurface bow between the floating popper and line. The bow creates slack in your strip set and has a tendency to get caught on subsurface vegetation.

Last edited:

tkww

Steelhead
Poppers in stillwater are the one time I'll use manufactured tapered leaders, simply to remove knots from the situation. When I'm dragging something across the surface--particularly if there's vegetation around--I want as few knots in my leader as possible.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Tied up a leader and fished it yesterday. I will say that it was a lot easier to cast that whatever the heck I had on there before. I think that stiff butt section really helped.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use berk big game. 4’ of 40lb, 2’ of 35lb, 1’ of 25lb, 1’ of 20lb then like 18” or so of tippet. Usually 15lb or 12lb for lakes or larger topwaters. For smallmouth I’ll use 10lb maxima or floro tippet. Do an Albright for tippet to end of leader or loop to loop of perfection loops. lately I’ve been using tippet rings and like them.

As it was taught to me, I started with this as a base formula and then can play with proportions and lengths. I did that but mostly came back to this basic configuration.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Tied up a leader and fished it yesterday. I will say that it was a lot easier to cast that whatever the heck I had on there before. I think that stiff butt section really helped.
I think that is one of the most important lessons I've learned in fly fishing, if you want to use big flies, you can't use wimpy leader. Glad you asked that question Josh.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I think that is one of the most important lessons I've learned in fly fishing, if you want to use big flies, you can't use wimpy leader. Glad you asked that question Josh.
This is so true and can really frustrate beginners or intermediate folks who ignore it or are unaware...like my Dad sometimes! I'll remind him and he'll say he knows, but some excuse or another.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
This is so true and can really frustrate beginners or intermediate folks who ignore it or are unaware...like my Dad sometimes! I'll remind him and he'll say he knows, but some excuse or another.
I’ll admit my hang up is being to lazy to put a proper leader on.

kerrys

Ignored Member
I use a 7 1/2 foot 1x tapered leader with a foot or so of 10lb mono tippet.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Words of wisdom right there.