Lake for sale

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tempting. My 900sqft house is being taxed at more than that.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Seems like one could get a dozen or so guys together and make a "fishing club" to buy it. Make a private campground.

Probably some zoning nightmare around that though.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Seems like one could get a dozen or so guys together and make a "fishing club" to buy it. Make a private campground.

Probably some zoning nightmare around that though.
I wouldn’t think so. The guy that used to own it would rent space for campers, motor homes, travel trailers, etc. I would think a single purpose club would be better.

The Department of Game owns or has some sort of long term lease on the launch area. I think they should buy it.

Reactions: M_D

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The Department of Game owns or has some sort of long term lease on the launch area. I think they should buy it.
You'd think Parks or WDFW or whoever would do that for the money. It's not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
You'd think Parks or WDFW or whoever would do that for the money. It's not all that much in the grand scheme of things.
They don't have the resources to maintain or in some cases keep open the places they currently own.

RCF

Life of the Party
I wouldn’t think so. The guy that used to own it would rent space for campers, motor homes, travel trailers, etc. I would think a single purpose club would be better.

Correct me if I am wrong but the public already owns the water. If they own the water and have 'deeded' access to it via the state e.g. DOE, F&G, DNR, etc. no need to buy the land... Just sayin...

Cliff

Steelhead
IS this Vogler Lake? Sort of confusing. I used to fish Vogler Lake decades ago, and at that time an old man owned the old house. He was up there in his years and later he hired a young guy to help him around the place. It was open to fishing. Never did really well in there, but it was a nice little lake.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Correct me if I am wrong but the public already owns the water. If they own the water and have 'deeded' access to it via the state e.g. DOE, F&G, DNR, etc. no need to buy the land... Just sayin...
The public has access to the lake via a sliver of land owned by the Dept. of Game (according to county land records). The rest of the land around the lake and the lake itself is privately owned.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Damn!

$350k would have been legit doable if a few folks wanted to band together.
Having owned an inherited undivided interest in some recreational land it was a nightmare (no, it wasn't some sort of timeshare...we outright owned it). Somebody always thinks they're getting screwed on taxes/maintenance...and a few individuals usually end up dealing with the complications.

Even selling it became a nightmare (though slightly less nightmarish than attempting to break it out into segmented ownership parcels).

Great way to destroy relationships.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Having owned an inherited undivided interest in some recreational land it was a nightmare (no, it wasn't some sort of timeshare...we outright owned it). Somebody always thinks they're getting screwed on taxes/maintenance...and a few individuals usually end up dealing with the complications.

Even selling it became a nightmare (though slightly less nightmarish than attempting to break it out into segmented ownership parcels).

Great way to destroy relationships.

Great way to destroy relationships indeed. My late wife's best friend was one of 3 siblings that inherited a 3.5 million dollar ranch in Montana. The oldest brother had always lived on the ranch and wanted to keep it for himself. You can only imagine the shit show that ensued but suffice it to say that it was a long and bitter battle involving lawyers that fractured the entire family.

George Washington said it first and said it best: "Avoid Entangling Alliances." Some we are born into and can't be avoided, the rest are mostly our own fault.

cdnred

Life of the Party
The public has access to the lake via a sliver of land owned by the Dept. of Game (according to county land records). The rest of the land around the lake and the lake itself is privately owned.
Explain to me how that works. If the lake is privately owned but a sliver of access to the lake is owned by the Dept of Game, is the public still allowed to access it for fishing or is that forbidden..?