It's too early, but...

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi guys,
Since this is no longer called the Steelhead forum everybody gonna be nice right? Please....

Would like opinions, or even better, facts.

Looking at unclipped fish over Bonneville so far.
Screenshot_20220506-161322~2.png

Where u think that early bump of fish are going? I'll throw my hat in the ring...spring run summers headed for the Wind.
Whatever they are, glad there are more fish than last year! Maybe the spring kings are a good omen? Like I said...way too early.

Ok, your turn!

DKL

Steelhead
One trib had its best spring numbers in years so I too was hoping that was a sign of things to come for the rest of the system. Like you said, way too early to know but keeping my fingers crossed.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think a big reason is just the amount of rain we've had has pushed fish up instead of them holding lower in the system.
Hmm. I do think fish notice rain, but I think they notice water level, temp and speed more. There might be something about the rain, but the Columbia has actually been low this spring because of cooler than normal temps delaying runoff.
The river just went up with this last storm, but still lower than normal. Here is gauge height (I know, doesn't tell the whole story) below Bonneville-
Screenshot_20220507-224901.png

And here is discharge at Vancouver-
Screenshot_20220507-225553.png

So not sure about rain, flow or temp or anything. So much we don't know. I know one thing...so good so far.

Fingers crossed.

skyrise

Steelhead
If you watch Outdoor GPS Owen goes over all this every weekend. Just wish I could get down there to chase some springers.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Springers are going crazy. We're about 2 weeks from seeing if steelhead and sockeye do the same thing. I hope!

Yardus

Secret Squirrel
From what I saw it was tough sledding for most... Lot's of story's of you should have been here yesterday floating around.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I believe this was the first year spring chinook were expect back and we got a few returners already. Good news I think. Can't fish 'em and rivers still blown.
1654356224234.png

skyrise

Steelhead
Outdoor GPS does the numbers for the big C and Willamette every weekend. So glad to see both states fish/game were Way off on numbers. And that river up north is open, ya ! And the other north rivers.

Reactions: JS

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm sure that spike is due to high water, but still, looks like it's trending to "not awful" this year:

1656349360670.png

Dalles still seems too early in the season to make a call, but is also following 10 year trend more closely:

1656349489107.png

Hope they open it soon this year! Also, maybe this water flushed smolts out to sea quickly, so might help in the next couple of years.

Still trying to find a summer near Portland...

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Monster day yesterday may be throwing the charts off a bit. Now if those numbers keep like it for a while....