Idaho Falls help

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
20220808_192540.jpgI have 1 day (Tomorrow) to fish. Idaho Falls area. Wet wading, I have a tiny box of attractor dries and a few bead head nymphs. Kids will be in tow but not fishing, looking for rocks etc. Ultimate goal would be over abundant brook trout, or rainbows in a cutthroat stream that need some thinning out, because I would like to keep some fish. I would be happy with 8" brookies. Some breif excitement for the kids to reel a few in. I have a few options to check out but would love if someone could point me somewhere. Hike in lake too if not too long a walk, something a 6 year old could do. PM so not to Hotspot, if I don't hear from anyone I'll have something to report tomorrow, hopefully.
20220808_161727.jpg

Chadk

Life of the Party
I've been in the area before. Not much help, but I'd look into fishing the snake River. Some beautiful water and nice fish.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 27026I have 1 day (Tomorrow) to fish. Idaho Falls area. Wet wading, I have a tiny box of attractor dries and a few bead head nymphs. Kids will be in tow but not fishing, looking for rocks etc. Ultimate goal would be over abundant brook trout, or rainbows in a cutthroat stream that need some thinning out, because I would like to keep some fish. I would be happy with 8" brookies. Some breif excitement for the kids to reel a few in. I have a few options to check out but would love if someone could point me somewhere. Hike in lake too if not too long a walk, something a 6 year old could do. PM so not to Hotspot, if I don't hear from anyone I'll have something to report tomorrow, hopefully.
View attachment 27025
Glad you are getting a chance to get out fishing!

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There is a stream along that rd through idaho falls. I have had good luck with 10 inch rainbows and even some small mouth. Simple x caddis pattern i was using was the ticket and then let it swing in the tailout where i would get small mouth hits

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Sorry I didn't see this until just now. Too late but best bet would have been to go down to Jimmy's All Seasons Angler and find out what small streams have been fishable. Birch Creek, McCoy Creek, Palisades Creek etc.
Actually went to Palisades Creek, trailhead was packed, had to back out of there. We then went one drainage over to the next Creek and didn't find anyone.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Trip report.
We ended up with an extra kid in towe (nephew) so my expectations of getting to do much were low. We left at the crack of noon and stopped for some food, which was rejected by the bosses (taquitos! really?) Chicken nuggets were found and purchased and off we go. Palisades Creek, a tributary to the snake was the first target, but as I wrote above it was packed, and with 3 kids in sandels I expected more roadside access not a hike. So went next door to Rainey creek which also ended in a trailhead but there were some unimproved campsites along the stream that provided some easier walking access (but it's camp water). Proof God had a sense of humor, my girls are scared to death of bugs. They hopped out of the truck followed by blood curdling screems and back in they went with doors slammed. I drove back down to one of the campsites that was more shaded and didn't see as many bugs. Got them out, and they played in the water for a few hours and had fun. Tossed a yellow humpy next to a few likely looking holds but didn't see any signs of fish. Would of loved to explore more.
20220810_155047.jpg