Icicle River Springers

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There is an extension for fishing on the Icicle River and I happen to be headed over to Levenworth this weekend. Anybody got any info for fishing over there? Are the public access spots any good, or does it become a float game?

Dad would be fishing gear, but if I could rope one on the fly that would be bucket list worthy.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
There is an extension for fishing on the Icicle River and I happen to be headed over to Levenworth this weekend. Anybody got any info for fishing over there? Are the public access spots any good, or does it become a float game?

Dad would be fishing gear, but if I could rope one on the fly that would be bucket list worthy.
There is very little public access, and what there is, anglers will be shoulder to shoulder. Not sure it would wise to swing flies in such close proximity to other anglers. Pretty much a plunking show, be it by boat, or from the bank. If you're gonna float, get an early start. Realistically there are only about a half dozen good holes.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Many years ago maybe a decade plus or two decades ago I was In the midst of summer and fishing the Icicle and catching some nice 9-10” trout on dries on a 4 or 5 weight….. saw somethings bunkering a bit deeper and a bit bigger ….. Switched to wet fly and within minutes I had a huge steelhead hit it and drive himself in to the rocks near by in the river. I was stuck. Had to break it off. That steelhead took me for on a minute joy ride then went to the boulders and wrapped some line so I was done.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Only the lower ~3 miles is open and there is very little public access once you leave the hatchery property; actually, there is only one other public parcel and one dead end street. And, at these high flows, the two public access spots won’t offer much/any wade fishing. Expect a zoo and be prepared for bumper boats if you float.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Only the lower ~3 miles is open and there is very little public access once you leave the hatchery property; actually, there is only one other public parcel and one dead end street. And, at these high flows, the two public access spots won’t offer much/any wade fishing. Expect a zoo and be prepared for bumper boats if you float.
Maybe 30 years ago I was invited to fish the Icicle from a friends jet boat. We launched (somewhere, I don't recall) and ran upstream to the "hog line" and anchored up with a buoy between the anchor and boat. No fish that first evening, lots of beer. We spent the night anchored up, trying to sleep, and at sunrise (no night fishing allowed then (still?)), we started up again. It was bumper to bumper across the head of the hole. Combat 101 boat fishing. Springers are my favorite fish in the system. We boated three fish, had to follow one so we cut loose from the buoy, it was a chore to get reconnected to the buoy due to the bumper (crop) of boats.

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
Maybe 30 years ago I was invited to fish the Icicle from a friends jet boat. We launched (somewhere, I don't recall) and ran upstream to the "hog line" and anchored up with a buoy between the anchor and boat. No fish that first evening, lots of beer. We spent the night anchored up, trying to sleep, and at sunrise (no night fishing allowed then (still?)), we started up again. It was bumper to bumper across the head of the hole. Combat 101 boat fishing. Springers are my favorite fish in the system. We boated three fish, had to follow one so we cut loose from the buoy, it was a chore to get reconnected to the buoy due to the bumper (crop) of boats.
That’s the Wenatchee, then all the yuppies moved over and banned motors cause it bugged them in their second homes. Probably a good thing with the lack of fishing over here. If we could still run the hog line in sleds, I reckon their would be bodies due to it. Icicle is fucked. This years springers are large and cutting well though. Launch at 1 am or hit last light. Spin n glo + bait the game. Person wanting to swing, wait for the Wenatchee to open for a springer season and then bring plenty of t-18+ Or start hunting along upper Columbia, between wetsnatch and chelan, swing runs do exist.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
That’s the Wenatchee, then all the yuppies moved over and banned motors cause it bugged them in their second homes. Probably a good thing with the lack of fishing over here. If we could still run the hog line in sleds, I reckon their would be bodies due to it. Icicle is fucked. This years springers are large and cutting well though. Launch at 1 am or hit last light. Spin n glo + bait the game. Person wanting to swing, wait for the Wenatchee to open for a springer season and then bring plenty of t-18+ Or start hunting along upper Columbia, between wetsnatch and chelan, swing runs do exist.
I stand corrected. My bad. So much for my memory, eh! Looking at Earth Google it's apparent now that we overnighted on the Wenatchee. Regardless of what river we fished, the salmon were very nice springers. Bright with firm orange flesh, not at all like the "upriver brights" caught in the fall in the Reach (brights?).

Thanks HOG!/Buzzy

Reactions: HOG

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
If the Wenatchee isn't open by now, it won't be. Definitely some swing stuff on the Columbia, and with the numbers of sockeye present, it could be interesting.

HOG

If the Wenatchee isn't open by now, it won't be. Definitely some swing stuff on the Columbia, and with the numbers of sockeye present, it could be interesting.
What was that about Wenatchee? Seen plenty of clowns out swinging for sockeye. One was even posing on the monitor bridge with his spray pole in tow.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
What was that about Wenatchee? Seen plenty of clowns out swinging for sockeye. One was even posing on the monitor bridge with his spray pole in tow.
I thought (for once?) about heading to the Wenatchee and swinging a fly for some Nookie but I figured it would be like one of our Basin rivers further upstream; companiable shoulder to shoulder angling. @HOG have you been fishing for Chinook or sockeye?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
That's just insane!
I would have thought the sockeye would mostly have been in Lake Wenatchee* by the time the river actually opened (I think the lake opener coincided with the river). Insane would be the boat launch(es?) at Lake Wenatchee.

* or even swiming up the White and Little Wenatchee

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
I would have thought the sockeye would mostly have been in Lake Wenatchee* by the time the river actually opened (I think the lake opener coincided with the river). Insane would be the boat launch(es?) at Lake Wenatchee.

Six sockeyes and a couple of hatchery tomatoes and you're done for the day. I'll bring the beer.

HOG

There is only one. Unless you know someone. I only go to state park with camp chairs and a 18 rack of Busch to watch the shenanigans. One time, an amigo jumped in a dudes rig and backed his boat in for him.