Great Slave Lake Northwest Territory

Went fishing for Grayling, Northern Pike, and mainly Lake Trout on the fly. I wasn’t sure what to expect, or to tie. I will be better prepared next time.

Grayling fishing was with a 4wt rod, and small Caddis (16) were the main bug on the menu. They ate dries and nymphs almost equally. These are world class, small fish were 15”, many 18-20” fish and some over 20”.FE4D25A4-4E59-4F28-9D33-D0867B8FC41A.jpeg

The scenery was incredible as was the diversity of geology in different parts of the lake.
2C6F2B73-3116-4CD5-9DB0-C9641D5706B7.jpeg

2D067B80-B6C9-49C0-8118-A75D0283D338.jpeg

81DFF867-4658-4991-9E96-C884BD59BBA5.jpeg

476F6AC8-DE0D-4AD1-98D7-80329CA819C8.jpeg

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Those rocky shores remind me of the phrase, "Canadian Shield".......

Thanks for the great report and photos. And GOOD for you!!:)

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had hopes of seeing northern lights, so I dragged my butt out of bed at 2am on a clear night and walked to the point to have a look to the north. Photo taken at 01:59
View attachment 27053
Beautiful, but no lights. Late August/September would provide good opportunity. It got dark after 11:30 and was getting light again around 03:30 while I was there.
Those are noctilucent clouds on the horizon - that's almost as good as seeing the northern lights! These clouds are formed way up in the mesosphere and are thought to be formed by water vapor adhering to dust particles from meteorites. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/8366/noctilucent-clouds

I loved your report - thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I always thought Great Slave would be super windy and gloomy, but that looks like calm and bluebell days, good report, thanks!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I always thought Great Slave would be super windy and gloomy, but that looks like calm and bluebell days, good report, thanks!
We did have some wind, and a storm system moving in as we left. Fished in some rolling water, but found a sheltered bay with fish for the worst of it. Took a minor pounding at times. Lower back got sore - totally worth it. Again I felt we were really lucky weather wise.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Those are noctilucent clouds on the horizon - that's almost as good as seeing the northern lights! These clouds are formed way up in the mesosphere and are thought to be formed by water vapor adhering to dust particles from meteorites. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/8366/noctilucent-clouds

I loved your report - thanks for sharing!
Thanks for that RR, I enjoy learning new things. I will be on the lookout next year, with greater knowledge and appreciation!

Great report, thanks for sharing., truly gorgeous country side I used to go to Slave Lake (the town), which is on Lesser Slave Lake, for business years ago the company I worked for (Chevron) has an office there).

Last edited: