For those who know trailer wheel bearings

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So I DIY everything I can, but wheel bearings are something I've just never really bothered with.

I just got this trailer in April, and it's been slinging grease on all four wheels since I got it. Only seems to be coming out the front side (the side with the zirk). Almost like there's no seal on that plate that goes in and out.

I've thought about just pulling all four buddies off and putting new ones on. But if this is simpler than that, I would like to know what to do about it. I've tried searching a bit and can't find a clear answer anywhere.

1659712850276.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I mean, I've definitely had issues in the past. I've just always taken it to Les Schwab to fix it. Now my local Schwab isn't doing trailer bearings for whatever reason, and I'd rather learn how to do it myself. It can't be that hard, I've just never dealt with it myself other than putting some grease in.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I’m going to piggyback on Evan’s thread rather than making a new one for my question because I figure this could be a useful “trailer bearings info” thread for future searchers.

What do I do to grease these bearings on my new (to me) trailer and how often do I do it?

A1700997-CDB3-4D52-8909-8A8C6E05DF98.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I’m going to piggyback on Evan’s thread rather than making a new one for my question because I figure this could be a useful “trailer bearings info” thread for future searchers.

What do I do to grease these bearings on my new (to me) trailer and how often do I do it?

View attachment 26047
For bearing buddies, not often. You're more likely to overfill them and blow the seal. Push on the center cap thing. If it moves, it's good to go. If it's stuck or not moving, then it's probably empty.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks for this thread. I've been meaning to ask a question about my trailer bearings. Right now it seems we have more questions than answers, though. Probably just a matter of time until someone knowledgeable (or knowledgeable-sounding at least) chimes in. If and when we have a taker, I have some pics of my own. My deal looks different than these. @Josh did you pull any kind of cover or cap off of that before taking the pic?

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Perfectly timed thread - one of mine is doing basically the same as the first pic from @Evan B. Looking forward to any help/information that comes from this thread.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

Ya'll need bearing buddies

Thats what I have. Well, I have Dexters which are the same idea. Both fling grease everywhere in a lot of cases.

I'm getting some caps for mine to see if that's all I need. Just making sure I don't need to worry about anything else. I've been finding a bit more info.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks @DimeBrite for the videos - probably gunna need to repack the bearings just to be on the safe side. I have bearing buddies and seems to be reasonably functioning and I think some water is getting in behind the cap hence the goo when I take the cap off. But hell this trailer is ancient so no idea last time bearings repacked so will put it on the to do list.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yep, thanks @DimeBrite, that was some scintillating lunchtime viewing. ;)Now I know how to pack a greased trailer bearing. Then I went out and looked at my EZ Loader trailer and it has oil-bath lubricated bearings. I'll jack it up and try to rock the wheel to make sure the bearings are okay, but it looks to me like I just need to top off the one with some gear oil.36AD8DE5-D555-4D39-ADC7-A2EA979B7557.jpegC639CA36-7EE5-45DF-BA42-1C432633BE5C.jpeg

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I believe @PhilR had some major bearing issues, maybe he can chime in?
Nothing to add except try caps, and don’t overfill them. I had plenty of trailer problems, but leaking grease isn’t one.

Yet

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hate to rain on this parade , but that’s the worst video I have seen for doing bearings , first off he’s leaving out packing the rear bearing , not replacing the seal , mixing grease , probably no idea what grease was used before . Knock the back seal out , clean the bearings with brake cleaner . Inspect the bearing for any pitting on them , and the race . I quit packing bearings by hand years years , I use a bearing packer . Replace the rear seal with a new one , and put back together . I put a bit of grease on the spindle , a little around the front , and back bearing , after packing . I NEVER use those bearing buddies , IMO all you are doing is filling up the cavity in there , and at some point that grease has to go somewhere , and it’s usually out the rear seal or those bearing buddies . Then I put on a good dust cap , and call it good .

The good thing about that video is he’s using a good quality grease , that Lucas red and tacky . I use that on my utility trailer, boat trailer , and fifth wheel , wouldn’t use anything else .