Fly Line Help Needed - Soooo many different ones it's making my head spin.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
First off, a HUGE thank you to everyone that has been helping me with my casting (wind knots) and rod selection. It's been greatly appreciated and everyone here I have communicated with has been very nice and willing help. If I'm wearing out my welcome with all these questions, please let me know!

As I alluded to in my other thread, I ended up finding an older Sage DS2 9' 5wt. I'm more than likely going to put an Battenkill II Disc reel on the rod and likely use the rod for dries and maybe some dry droppers? Maybe standard indicator/nymph use as well.

I'm trying to decide on a proper line for the rod. Right now being a newbie, I have only used SA MPX Optix 6wt WF on my 6wt rod. It's been great but my Echo Boost Blue is a very fast rods so I know this might not be the best line for a "medium" action rod like the DS2. Or, maybe it would be fine?

I know very little about lines so I just want to make sure I'm using a line that will make the most of the DS2's action. The one I borrowed from a guide was his own personal rod that he rarely uses and one that he normally doesn't let clients use. Unfortunately, he did not remember what line was on the rod.

So, any suggestions on a nicely matched line to this Sage DS2 would be appreciated. Price isn't really a big concern but cheaper is always good. But, I want to use the right line so if it costs a little more, so be it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My sage is older, a GFL, and it's between modern rods and a bamboo. Moderate action? Not too far from the Steffen glass (s2) maybe.. It works well with the reel you like. It's a six, and works well with any true to weight line, float, sink tip or sink, wf or dt. I prefer cortland lines to all others.
2021SteelTD.jpg

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My sage is older, a GFL, and it's between modern rods and a bamboo. Moderate action? Not too far from the Steffen glass (s2) maybe.. It works well with the reel you like. It's a six, and works well with any true to weight line, float, sink tip or sink, wf or dt. I prefer cortland lines to all others.
View attachment 8910

First off, wow! That's a beauty of a trout. I'm glad you like the Battenkill/Sage Moderate action combo and the Cortland line. Sounds like a very similar set up to what I'll end up with.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I have a Sage DS2 in a 6wt. I use a SIc/Ang 6wt Fwd. Floating line in it. It casts just fine for me. But I have been throwing flies around for over 60 years. Might have something to do with it.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Sage DS2 in a 6wt. I use a SIc/Ang 6wt Fwd. Floating line in it. It casts just fine for me. But I have been throwing flies around for over 60 years. Might have something to do with it.

That’s good to hear. I did some lawn casting today with the new DS2 5wt but had to use my reel from my Echo Boost with 6wt line. It did pretty well but I definitely think it will cast better with the correct 5wt line. I could definitely feel that it seemed a little overweighted with the line. Hopefully I’ll have my other reel and 5wt line later this week.

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have one of those ds2's and I use a cortland 444 mint wf on mine. It works well. I take it you are borrowing this rod. When you are getting to where you want to purchase, something to keep in mind is you may like a 4 wt, and that the difference between a 5 and a 6, or a 5 and a 4, is not that much. One of my favorite trout rods is a fast 4 wt. For little creeks I have a slow 2 wt with a double taper on it cause I'm usually working really close. I feel no need to fill in the in between gaps.