Fly Line Help Needed - Soooo many different ones it's making my head spin.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
First off, a HUGE thank you to everyone that has been helping me with my casting (wind knots) and rod selection. It's been greatly appreciated and everyone here I have communicated with has been very nice and willing help. If I'm wearing out my welcome with all these questions, please let me know!

As I alluded to in my other thread, I ended up finding an older Sage DS2 9' 5wt. I'm more than likely going to put an Battenkill II Disc reel on the rod and likely use the rod for dries and maybe some dry droppers? Maybe standard indicator/nymph use as well.

I'm trying to decide on a proper line for the rod. Right now being a newbie, I have only used SA MPX Optix 6wt WF on my 6wt rod. It's been great but my Echo Boost Blue is a very fast rods so I know this might not be the best line for a "medium" action rod like the DS2. Or, maybe it would be fine?

I know very little about lines so I just want to make sure I'm using a line that will make the most of the DS2's action. The one I borrowed from a guide was his own personal rod that he rarely uses and one that he normally doesn't let clients use. Unfortunately, he did not remember what line was on the rod.

So, any suggestions on a nicely matched line to this Sage DS2 would be appreciated. Price isn't really a big concern but cheaper is always good. But, I want to use the right line so if it costs a little more, so be it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like "double taper" lines on medium action rods. You maybe lose some casting distance compared to a weight forward line but DT lines are great for delicate presentation of dry flies. Also, they are very cost effective. When the working half of the DT line gets trashed, just flip it around and presto, brand new line!

As to weight forward lines, I like the Wulff Triangle taper.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Nice choice on the Battenkill II reel, I think that will make for a nice classic combo. Is it one of the older cast Battenkills or the newer machined ones? Either way good call.

The line you have for your 6wt is a great line. First thing I would do is try it on your new DS2 rod and see how it casts. You might be surprised and find that you like the way it feels with a one weight heavier line. Or, being that's a moderate action rod, it may feel overloaded and "sluggish"... the only way to find out is to try different lines. A lot of folks prefer a "one line weight heavier" line, especially with the faster action rods (like your Boost Blue). An in fact many line manufacturers intentionally over-weight their lines by a half line weight for that reason. You can really get into the weeds with lines and look up the actual grain weight for different brands and size designations to find exactly what works best for the combination of rod action and person casting it. What feels good to you might feel over-lined or underlined to someone else casting the same rod.

If you do find the 6wt overloads the DS2 rod, then you could just get another SA MPX in a 5wt. Or any of the many other WF lines out there. I've recently bought a few of the Cortland 444 Peach lines for my trout rods and like them.

Come to think of it, if you're struggling with that 6wt MPX line on your Boost Blue, you might find you cast it better with a 7wt line. And if the 6 wt MPX works on your DS2 then maybe look for a heavier line for the Boost. As you can see, this can hobby spin out of control pretty quickly and we all have shelves and drawers full of lines we bought and tried and don't currently use. So then you start shopping the classifieds for another rod to fit a line that you already have... It never ends but it's fun.

Andy

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Are you wanting a line that matches the rod's action? Or a line that matches the fishing you're doing? Because the latter is the question you should be answering if you want to get the best line in nearly every case. Always match to the fishing, and get the right size for the rod.

I would look at the more all-purpose lines that have a taper that can turn over bigger dries and indicator rigs in your case. If you go with a presentation-style line, you may lose that extra horsepower you need for that.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Have you tried the 6 wt line on that rod? Might work just fine.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Once I've found a line wt I think works well for a specific rod I tend to focus on line durability and lack of line memory...especially in colder conditions. Excessive stretch resistant coiling drives me crazy.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
This is definitely something you can test out at your local fly shop. Bring your rod and tell them what you're looking to do. I usually like wf lines, especially for bigger hopper dropper rigs. I would also take the 6wf line and throw it on the new stick and see how it feels. That's really what it comes down to, what feels right to me and does the job may not be for you.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like "double taper" lines on medium action rods. You maybe lose some casting distance compared to a weight forward line but DT lines are great for delicate presentation of dry flies. Also, they are very cost effective. When the working half of the DT line gets trashed, just flip it around and presto, brand new line!

As to weight forward lines, I like the Wulff Triangle taper.

Thanks you! I'll likely be throwing shorter distances in most of the rivers I'll be fishing so a double taper is something to consider.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice choice on the Battenkill II reel, I think that will make for a nice classic combo. Is it one of the older cast Battenkills or the newer machined ones? Either way good call.

The line you have for your 6wt is a great line. First thing I would do is try it on your new DS2 rod and see how it casts. You might be surprised and find that you like the way it feels with a one weight heavier line. Or, being that's a moderate action rod, it may feel overloaded and "sluggish"... the only way to find out is to try different lines. A lot of folks prefer a "one line weight heavier" line, especially with the faster action rods (like your Boost Blue). An in fact many line manufacturers intentionally over-weight their lines by a half line weight for that reason. You can really get into the weeds with lines and look up the actual grain weight for different brands and size designations to find exactly what works best for the combination of rod action and person casting it. What feels good to you might feel over-lined or underlined to someone else casting the same rod.

If you do find the 6wt overloads the DS2 rod, then you could just get another SA MPX in a 5wt. Or any of the many other WF lines out there. I've recently bought a few of the Cortland 444 Peach lines for my trout rods and like them.

Come to think of it, if you're struggling with that 6wt MPX line on your Boost Blue, you might find you cast it better with a 7wt line. And if the 6 wt MPX works on your DS2 then maybe look for a heavier line for the Boost. As you can see, this can hobby spin out of control pretty quickly and we all have shelves and drawers full of lines we bought and tried and don't currently use. So then you start shopping the classifieds for another rod to fit a line that you already have... It never ends but it's fun.

Andy

The Battenkill would be one of the new models. Seems like a great real and not crazy heavy.

I think I might try my 6wt line on the DS2 once I receive it and get a real mounts. At least that will give me a starting point even if I don't like it.

And yes, I can see how this can get out of control! Holy cow.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Are you wanting a line that matches the rod's action? Or a line that matches the fishing you're doing? Because the latter is the question you should be answering if you want to get the best line in nearly every case. Always match to the fishing, and get the right size for the rod.

I would look at the more all-purpose lines that have a taper that can turn over bigger dries and indicator rigs in your case. If you go with a presentation-style line, you may lose that extra horsepower you need for that.

Well, that's a good questions and not something I had considered. For now, I probably just want to match the rod's action until I get a little more experience under my belt. Then, I can start matching the line to specific type of fishing. Thanks.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is definitely something you can test out at your local fly shop. Bring your rod and tell them what you're looking to do. I usually like wf lines, especially for bigger hopper dropper rigs. I would also take the 6wf line and throw it on the new stick and see how it feels. That's really what it comes down to, what feels right to me and does the job may not be for you.

Luckily, I have a great fly shop within a mile of my house so I can definitely test some lines out once I get the rod/reel set up. Thank you!

G_Smolt

Legend
Regarding DT lines on the DS / DSII - they're great if you don't want to cast more than 30'.

The belly of the DT lines have enough mass to effectively add a line weight or so for each additional ~10' out the rod tip. This requires the caster to constantly adjust power and stroke length, which is fine for experienced casters but can be a big source of frustration to beginning/intermediate casters

RCF

Life of the Party
Fly lines have evolved over time and have become much more specialized and costly. Part of that is because fly rods have become faster and and more specialized.

Your rod was made around the turn of the century (2000). You might/should consider fly lines made around the same timeframe because they were made for the rods then. Cortland 444 Peach and 444 SL are ones that come to mind. Both are available in DT and WF I believe. Those lines are a lot less than modern lines for modern rods. They last forever too. I fish IM6 rods (moderate action) and they work great.

If I remember correctly, did not go look tho, you have cast the DS2 recently and really liked it. What line was on that rod? A good starting point IMHO.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Regarding DT lines on the DS / DSII - they're great if you don't want to cast more than 30'.

The belly of the DT lines have enough mass to effectively add a line weight or so for each additional ~10' out the rod tip. This requires the caster to constantly adjust power and stroke length, which is fine for experienced casters but can be a big source of frustration to beginning/intermediate casters

Well, That' a good point. I'm definitely in the beginner category. I'd rather reduce or eliminate any potential frustrations.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fly lines have evolved over time and have become much more specialized and costly. Part of that is because fly rods have become faster and and more specialized.

Your rod was made around the turn of the century (2000). You might/should consider fly lines made around the same timeframe because they were made for the rods then. Cortland 444 Peach and 444 SL are ones that come to mind. Both are available in DT and WF I believe. Those lines are a lot less than modern lines for modern rods. They last forever too. I fish IM6 rods (moderate action) and they work great.

If I remember correctly, did not go look tho, you have cast the DS2 recently and really liked it. What line was on that rod? A good starting point IMHO.

That makes sense. The Cortland 444 Peach might be a good option. I wish I knew what line was on the DS2 I fished with. The guide did not remember but likely a 5wt. It was his personal rod that he bought years ago and rarely used but thought it might be a good rod for me to try out given my limited experience and being on a river where I needed to make some good cast with a lot of wind that day. Even when the wind calmed down, I still loved that rod. It really was like flipping a switch for me. Especially with the Dry Flies. I do know the line was not the Cortland Peach just by color alone.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the responses on this. I needed to get another real for the my incoming DS2 and my local shop was out of the Battenkill II I was after so I went ahead and ordered online the reel and the Cortland 444 Peach 5wt WF since they would include backing on the reel if I order a line as well.

So, I'm going to give this one a shot and I can also try out my SA MPX 6wt. See which one I like better and go from there it needed. Hoping to Peach will work out though. Shipping is slow so it might be a week or so before I can report back.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jim