Fly fishing mentor

diripio

Freshly Spawned
Hello all,

I have been fly fishing for about a year now and was wondering if there are groups that I can join. It would be great if there is someone on this forum looking to teach new enthusiasts.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Hi diripio -
Welcome to the forum - use the search function and you'll find a ton of great info on this site. There are at least two fly clubs within reasonable distance of Renton - https://southsoundflyfishers.org/ and https://www.psff.org/ If you are a young guy, maybe a fly club isn't for you because I think most club members are older folks but many of those older folks have decades of experience.

What do you like fishing for and where? Lakes, streams, creeks, rivers, the salt?

Be well/Patrick

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
^ Basically this. 1. Join an active club. 2. Frequent a local fly shop if you can. 3. If someone on this forum posts about an open seat in a boat, take them up on it.

I had to join and attend three different clubs before I found one that is truly active and engaged in the way I want one to be (not only scheduling things for weekdays, actually scheduling things, etc).

Overlake Fly Fishing Club is where I've decided to hang my hat, and it's working well. My son is 7, he loves it too, and he’s not the only kid member.

The other clubs were…interesting. One was up in arms and lost a big chunk of its membership when it *gasp* started admitting women as members. The other celebrated its 50th anniversary and every hand except mine went into the air when the president asked who was there that first year.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Smolt
Hello all,

I have been fly fishing for about a year now and was wondering if there are groups that I can join. It would be great if there is someone on this forum looking to teach new enthusiasts.
Check out the swaps I'm starting to host on this site. My swaps are open to all level/experienced tyers. I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps on various sites for going on 12 years now. Help I can provide to newer tyers include: providing a selection of fly patterns appropriate for the newer tyer that will meet the swap's theme, directions on tying your chosen pattern that include tips/tricks and traps in the pattern, and feedback on your flies after I receive them. The feedback will include where you did well, where you could improve, and specific steps to take to improve.

If you wish to vett me I currently host swaps on flytyingforum.com, theflyfishingforum.com, and www.paflyfish.com - these are listed from the longest to most recent sites. I can talk (BRAG!) about myself all day, on these sites you see what other people are saying. I've used this same handle all the way back to FAOL where I cut my teeth on fly swaps. Oh, my first offering on this site, The Ark Swap still is open for registration and has a couple openings in it. An Ark Swap is a swap for 2X2 patterns - you start with a hook and thread and add 2 materials or less , and tie in 2 minutes or less (don't worry about the time constraint - I use a calendar to time myself! ;) ). And if you need help finding a pattern, 2X2's are my FAVORITE type of fly to tie and I have HUNDREDS of patterns in my personal database to choose from.

Please read my "Fly Swaps 101" post (both the swap and the 101 thread are on the "Fly Tying and Entomology" section of this site. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me.

Kim

BTW, Did I mention that all swappers in my swaps will receive a free fly-tying gift or two from me.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Hello all,

How many times in the last year have you fly fished and where: moving waters, still water or salt?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Not really a mentorship thing but I’d suggest to visit every local fly shop you can. Pick the shop that you liked the best and visit it regularly. Buy things, ask questions and talk about fishing or tying. Some shops are good with customer service, some not so much. You can learn a lot of things by finding the shop that does.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Don't ever hesitate to seek and ask advice here. We have the "so you're new to fly fishing" thread if you haven't perused that. It should be a decent primer to at least get you enough to know what to ask us.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Got through the first couple posts and just decided to say bullshit. You are already in a fly fishing club right now. Want to find a place of like minded individuals? CHECK
Would you like to find a place that has a bunch of folks that build other's up? CHECK
Would you like to find a place where you can feel comfortable asking the dumbest of questions? CHECK
Would you like those people to be local to you? CHECKAROOO
All that chit is here man. I am living proof of it. When I first hopped on here all I did was just start posting my own personals on here pretty much.

"Headed to the <chosen body of water> and would love to link up to any one headed in the same direction. Breakfast and beer on me"

Trust me, you will get bites if not already.

edit: we do build others up but we also have no shortage of ball breaking here so thick skin is encouraged.

wetline dave

Steelhead
diripio

reading will generate a lot of information.

Dave Hughes book "Trout Rigs and Methods" is a good book to start with. It is a bit technical but not over the top and easy to understand. From setups and flies to use and reading water plus still water strategies.

If it is water to fish you have the Cedar river and it has a lot of access and reasonably good fishing.

There are many good books available and it seems nearly every one has their favorite.

Cave

RCF

Life of the Party
Hello all,

There is a good way to get free mentoring...

Go to one of your local waters and just sit back, out of the way of course, and watch other fishermen fish. You will be able to see different approaches. You will also be able determine which ones are successful. Those are the ones you may want to prioritize on who to talk to... By watching other successful fishermen, the questions you ask will be very different and hopefully will influence those that you talk with share more due to increased interest/understanding by you...

When on a river/stream find an area where you want to learn more. Come up with your idea(s) on how to approach fishing that piece of water. Where to stand, where to cast, types of lines, when hatches occur, are all a part of it. Then sit back and watch others. Over time you will start determining if you are correct or not. That positive reinforcement will let you know you are learning. Also, when it clears out a bit, you can go fish that water with successful techniques others have shown you...

I have used this approach numerous times especially on new waters and it has helped me a lot. But I do not stop there. Whenever I hire a professional to do some work for me, e.g. plumbing, heating, flooring, etc., I watch them perform their services and ask questions along the way. That way I can do it next time without spending money for their services (hopefully)...

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You'd be surprised how much info and instruction you can get just talking to people on the water. Obviously, don't low hole them, and give them space, but striking up a conversation can get you good tips. Some people might grunt and run away from you, but plenty of people want to talk about the day they're having and want to hear how you have been doing. I've found out about a few good spots just by talking to people on the river.