Float Tube Tips

Hello all!
Thank you for creating such a welcoming environment.

I have been float tubing and still water fly fishing. However, I have been having a difficult time staying well anchored and stationary while casting chironomids/watching the indicator.
Could anyone share their tips and tricks on staying still while float tubing for successfully chironomid castings?

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This picture is how @Stonedfish anchors his float tube.
A one quarter inch braided rope slightly longer than the deepest water you anchor in and a 2 or 3 pound weight is needed.
Additionally a small carabiner, a small float and a about 4 or 5 ft of small rope
is needed.
The picture illustrates the carabiner, float and 4-5' rope part of the setup.
The anchor attaches to your 20 or 30 length of 1/4" anchor line or whatever length you decide on.
Note the position of the carabiner. When you lower your anchor let an extra 6 to 10' of line out. Then tie loosely a simple overhand loop in the line.
Clip the carabiner into the loop you tied and let the loop, carabiner and float swing out directly behind the float tube making sure the end of the anchor line opposite the anchor is attached to your tube where you can reach it to retrieve the anchor.
To retrieve the anchor simply pull the anchor line to the loop/ carabiner, unclip the carabiner from the loop you tied and clip to side of tube within reach.
Retrieve the rest of the anchor line and anchor in and that's it. Easy peasy.
The loop you tie in the anchor line can be adjusted for whatever the depth your anchored in.
I hope this makes sense.

View attachment 10680
Head to your local Goodwill and you will most likely find a fair assortment of barbell weights. They make great anchors!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While we are giving float tube tips, here is one that will add great comfort to your time on the water. Cut a piece of closed cell foam the size of the seat bottom and attach it to the seat with double stick carpet tape. You will actually feel warmth when you sit on it, your behind will thank you for the kindness. I have had that tape last for years at a time before replacing.