First bass on a popper...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Life is a little rough around the house at the moment. Kid #2 is sick with what is likely going to turn out to be covid (or if not, a very bad flu), Kid #1 is scared of it and is barricaded in his room, wife is stressed, we're playing it cautious and staying away from friends/family until we figure out what's going on. I'm sure I'm going to get sick just in time for the nice weather to start. Good times.

But I did sneak out for a quick session on a local lake yesterday while my wife had a zoom call and the kids were hiding in their rooms. I really like this lake, but it has skunked me the past couple times I have been there this year. As most of you know, western WA spring has been cold and wet this year. But as we've finally gotten into some warmer days, I thought I'd give it another try. It's honestly not a terrible place to get skunked either. Lots of birds/wildlife around, not far from town but feels pretty remote, a few other boats/kayaks but not super crowded.

IMG_1729.jpeg

@RichS and @Anyfish were both nice enough to send me some bass flies and since @Billy has been mocking me for my gear bass fishing, I thought I'd give the Echo 7wt BAG a workout. And what would you know, I found one! First largemouth of the year and first proper bass on a popper for me. Not a monster like Billy's fish tend to be. But holy heck I can see why popper fishing is addictive. The rush of seeing that fish appear from nowhere and smash the fly was awesome. That's one of RichS's flies in the photo.

IMG_1733.jpeg

Had another one on one of Anyfish's flies, but didn't get a good hookset (my fault, line was a mess). Still though, the dudes with senkos weren't having any luck and I was only there for an hour and a half or so. Can't feel bad about that. Also, reports are that the lake still needs a few more warm days to get the bass going. Plus, between the wind and my terrible line management, I'm a super inefficient caster from the kayak. I gotta get the anchor trolley set up so I can cast without drifting around.

Cheers to it all! Extra thanks to RichS and Anyfish!

IMG_1736.jpeg

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Congrats Josh! Top water bass are awesome. Give it a try on Lake Whatcom, you will be surprised how surface focused smallmouth can be. I’d guess you like the quietness and natural vibe of Fazon, but do not assume Lake Whatcom isn’t a place to fish on top with good success.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Congrats Josh! Top water bass are awesome. Give it a try on Lake Whatcom, you will be surprised how surface focused smallmouth can be. I’d guess you like the quietness and natural vibe of Fazon, but do not assume Lake Whatcom isn’t a place to fish on top with good success.
Wait, really? I had no idea that you could get smallies up on the topwater. That's intriguing...

Like, casting up to/under docks and then popping back out?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Wait, really? I had no idea that you could get smallies up on the topwater. That's intriguing...

Like, casting up to/under docks and then popping back out?
Ya. I use all black, or red and white styles. You don’t need to focus on docks, just fish later in the day when they are cruising for a meal.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Atta boy! I’m fairly new at it myself and fully understand the top water addiction.

What a hoot watching the surge of water heading for the fly…..like a submarine or torpedo. Heck, I even get excited when a big ole’ slab of bluegill sucks down a little gurgler.

And it’s only gonna get better as it warms up.(y)

Hope ya don’t get the crud

Mike d

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Heck Yah!!! Great job. Hope the family is well. We've were passing around what turned out to be a quick summer cold last week, some how I was the only one to emerge unscathed. Probably because I was outside most of the time and not in the house much.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I loved fishing that lake when I lived up there. It has some big bluegill in it too.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Hey Josh, I hate to break the news to you, but, just because your kids got sick, doesn't mean you'll get sick. My wife got COVID, I was exposed to her, and two others for a weekend, while they were getting sick. I never got it. Was I disappointed? NO!

You never know with this bug.

On to Bass on a popper. All I can say is, "Good Show" (y)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Hey Josh, I hate to break the news to you, but, just because your kids got sick, doesn't mean you'll get sick. My wife got COVID, I was exposed to her, and two others for a weekend, while they were getting sick. I never got it. Was I disappointed? NO!

You never know with this bug.
Oh, for sure. We know lots of stories like that. But no matter what, it DOES make life a huge hassle while we're waiting to figure it out.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
it DOES make life a huge hassle while we're waiting to figure it out.
This is very true. I did test twice in the 7 days that my wife was sick. On the other hand my nephews we sit came down with it, and both parents are sick with it too. The kids were down for a couple days, but, they're bouncing back now. Parents on the other hand, taking a little while to recover.

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
Awesome. Cool photos too. Glad things are working out for you. I haven't had much time the last month or so. Looks like that will all clear up.